none
DPM 2010 File Server Replica failing with 100 failed files RRS feed

• Question

• I have DPM 2010 running protecting 9 servers which are protecting things such as SQL databases, Exchange 2010 data etc. and all seems fine except one.  This server is running storage server 2008 and acting as a file server only.  The BMR and system state replica and backup work fine but while trying to backup the volume consisting of all the file data, it fails every time with "100 failed files" and error code 0x809909fe and id 32538.  I check the failedfiles log and see the files but that's all it gives me--the files yet no reason as to why.  I have opened the dpmra error log and all event viewer entries on both the dpm server as well as the file server and it doesn't give me much of a reason.  Is there a way to easily find out the EXACT cause of these files being skipped/failed?  I have seen posts saying the DPM skips files which are open/in use etc. and they skip those files but I would hope DPM would some how account for these and not just fail the backup as other products do this without any problem.  This server was running the SIS option on the file server volume but I have since turned it off thinking it was somehow interfering but it still fails.  These files are also a part of DFS shares across two different servers but I am only backing up one of these for now.  I haven't seen much indicating backing up volumes which consist of DFS shares is an issue but I don't know.  Any help would be appreciated.
    Monday, December 12, 2011 3:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I'm glad were were able to get to the bottom of the problem. I don't know any utility to help you with the file rename.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Ehouser,

DPM 2010 uses VSS (or maybe a hardware provider) to make the back-ups, so open files back-up should be fine.

Did you try to make a back-up with WBADMIN? If the files are also skipped maybe this logfile provides you with more information.(C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsServerBackup)

Hope this help,

Marthijn

Monday, December 12, 2011 9:46 PM
  • wbadmin start back and doing so on the volume needed works fine as well as using WSB doing full server or just the volume to USB drive works fine but DPM will always fail.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:14 AM
  • Hi

<snip>
      I check the failedfiles log and see the files but that's all it gives me--the files yet no reason as to why. 
    >snip<

There should be a hex code in front of each skiped file - what is the hex code.

example: 0x80070005 \\?\Volume{e7a67bb2-ef10-11de-86ec-00155d0a011c}\Users\mikey\Transfered\Cookies\mikey@contoso.com.hitbox[1].txt

To adjust the number of files skipped before failure add the regkey to the protected server:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent\ContinueOnFailure
       MaxFailedFiles:REG_DWORD:270F (dec 9999)

Then  "net stop dpmra" followed by "net start dpmra" on elevated prompt when backup is not running.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:33 AM
  • Here is an example:

0x80990ab5 \\?\Volume{fa84b63c-022b-4502-879d-f0707bfc29e2}\dublin\l\CBG\CBG\FORMS\EXHIBIT1.DOC

I would rather not increase the number of files allowed to be skipped because I guess in my mind, no files (except .tmp etc.) should be skipped especially those which ARE being skipped.  What I have done for testing is, removed the directories which contain the files skipped and ran it again.  What happens is it just picks the next 100 inline and fails again so I do not think there's anything special about those files.  If I increase the number allowed, it will probably skip almost all files being backed up!

TCP Chimney offload has been disabled, all drivers are the most current, the agent is the most current and has been uninstalled and reinstalled.  I'm at a loss. 

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:21 PM
  • Hi,

It appears that your files have a combination of file attributes that are not supported.

error 0x80990ab5 = DSM_E_SIS_FILE_TYPE_UNSUPPORTED

Please see: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399413.aspx

DPM cannot protect files that have any of the following combinations of file attributes:

• Encryption and reparse

• Encryption and Single Instance Storage (SIS)

• Encryption and case sensitivity

• Encryption and sparse

• Case sensitivity and SIS

• Sparse and reparse

• Compression and SIS

You will need to make changes on the protected server IE: disable SIS, or disable compression, or disable encryption, or disable case sensitivity before DPM can protect them.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:50 PM
  • Ok, so as a test, I took one folder only and added it to the protection group;one in which I knew files were failing.  I ran it again and of course it passes because there are not over 100 files there.  I go back and see yet another list of failed files.  SO, the volume these are on USED to have SIS turned on but I turned it off a few days ago.  They are not encrypted and the VOLUME is not compressed but the folder and files do in fact have "compress these files" turned on.  SO, is it volume compression or folder/file compression that's an issue?  Also, I am hoping this above email is not saying DPM does not protect folders and files which are a part of DFS shares!!  Also, Not using SIS does not break my heart but this is a shame since it's what drove me to use Windows Storage Server 2008!  Also I checked the registry to make case sensitivity was in fact off, I hope.  The one item above I do not get is the "sparse and reparse"?  Again, I just tried backing up a folder with a bunch of office documents and pdf files.  They way I read the above is it has to be a part of one of these combination together which would fail them but I do not think they are.  Are we saying volume compression or file/folder compression?  I go back to, I really hope this is not a limitation of DPM but I can't see how exactly since Windows Server Backup passes fine and DPM uses WSB!!

Thanks again for every one's answer!

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 9:59 PM
  • Hi,

Any file has a combination of compression enabled and is in single instance storage, that will prevent DPM from backing them up.  So I think the simple solution is to either uncompress the files on the volume or unSIS the volume.

Enabling or Disabling SIS on a Volume
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd573313(WS.10).aspx

Managing SIS Using SisAdmin.exe
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd573317(WS.10).aspx

DPM can protect DFS shares: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399574.aspx

DPM only uses WSB for SystemState and BMR backups. 

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:21 PM
  • thanks for the info but unfortunately, as stated in the above response, SIS has already been turned off for the volume and it still fails. the volume is not compressed but file and folder compression is.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:38 PM
  • Hi,

I have a utility that may help show what combination of attributes are on the files.

Download the fsatttrib.zip file from here: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=885774776d4f197a#cid=885774776D4F197A&id=885774776D4F197A%21120

It will output the attributes that are on that file and should help you proceed.

Attributes Table (in Hexadecimal):
        ----------------------------------
        FILE_ATTRIBUTE_READONLY             0x00000001
        FILE_ATTRIBUTE_HIDDEN               0x00000002
        FILE_ATTRIBUTE_SYSTEM               0x00000004
        FILE_ATTRIBUTE_DIRECTORY            0x00000010
        FILE_ATTRIBUTE_ARCHIVE              0x00000020
        FILE_ATTRIBUTE_DEVICE               0x00000040
        FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL               0x00000080
        FILE_ATTRIBUTE_TEMPORARY            0x00000100
        FILE_ATTRIBUTE_SPARSE_FILE          0x00000200
        FILE_ATTRIBUTE_REPARSE_POINT        0x00000400
        FILE_ATTRIBUTE_COMPRESSED           0x00000800
        FILE_ATTRIBUTE_OFFLINE              0x00001000
        FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NOT_CONTENT_INDEXED  0x00002000
        FILE_ATTRIBUTE_ENCRYPTED            0x00004000

Copy it onto the protected server, then run fsattrib.exe [drive:][path][offending_filename]  

C:\>fsattrib.exe C:\Temp\compressed.txt

FSATTRIB.EXE - File attributes utility - Version 1.00 - Build(4083)

A D H N R S T ||  C E RE SP  Attribs (Hex)  Size (bytes)
    ___________________________  _____________  ____________

A - - - - - - ||  C - -- --         0x820            0       compressed.txt

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:04 AM
  • So I used the utility on a small set of known skipped files and sure enough, the sparse and reparse attributes are marked.  Now, the million dollar question is, and excuse my ignorance but what are they??  Secondly, how can they be changed so they can be backed up?  Thanks!!
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:10 AM
  • I have tried one test on a small set of files post running your utility.  I moved them off the volume and back on and the attributes were now gone.  Am I to assume if I eventually moved ALL files from the volume and back on the attributes would now be gone and the backup would pass?  That's a lot of work but doable as long as it doesn't mess something else up like DFS
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:15 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, will work, be mindful that if there are any special NTFS permissions on the files, they wil get lost if moved to another volume and then moved back.

Sparce files are described in details in the following technet article.

- The NTFS File System - Microsoft TechNet: Resources for IT ...
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc976808.aspx

You can use fsutil.exe reparsepoint query File_name  to see what kind of reparse point is on the file.  I'm suspecting it's still SIS where the file was never unSISed when you disabled SIS on the volume.  You should be able to use SisAdmin to confirm.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:54 PM
  • so even though I disabled SIS on the volume, there were a lot of files not undone.  So, I used the sisadmin command and tried to convert the files which for the most part worked except for a couple thousand files not converted to naming convention errors by the users who like to put apostrophes in the files and folders.  I really wished there was a way to do a search through windows to go through and replace the apostrophe with something else.
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 1:37 AM
  • Hi,

I'm glad were were able to get to the bottom of the problem. I don't know any utility to help you with the file rename.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:12 AM