none
Project Serve 2010 - help - we have to cope with a domain name change (AD Sync) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My company is rationalising serveral domains into 1 domain, unfortunately this means that my project server users will have new login ids (ie the domain part will be different).

If I ask the AD team to create new AD Security Groups with the New login IDs and associate these with the Project Server 2010 groups is AD sync clever enough to pick up the change or will it create duplicates?

Thanks for any advices

Pratrap

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 9:37 AM

Answers

All replies

• I've not had to do this, but I imagine that the sync would actually recreate the new domain users. I suggest experimenting a bit in a sandboxed environment. I would start with doing this in the sandbox:

- Remove all AD syncs (both in Server Settings > Security > Groups and Server Settings > Operational Policies > Active Directory Resource Pool Sync)

- Open Resource Center, Select All resources, click Open. This should check out all of your resources and open them in Project Professional.

- Find and Replace (CTRL+H) all instances of your old domain with your new domain. This will change all <OLD Domain>\<username> references to <NEW Domain>\<username>. Save and Publish.

- Turn on the Syncs again.

Again, I have not experimented with this exact scenario, so please report back with whether it works.

Good luck.

• Edited by Reza Etezal Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:00 PM clarification
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 3:04 PM
  •  

Hi Pratap,

No, unfortunately Project Server cannot perform this tasks on its own. You need to perform some manual work here

Brian Smith's blog published for 2007 can help you with this scenario (helpful with 2010 as well)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brismith/archive/2009/06/22/project-server-2007-migration-from-one-domain-to-another.aspx

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Pratrap Thursday, October 25, 2012 7:59 AM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 3:24 PM
  • Thanks both.
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 7:59 AM