Why do I keep losing space on my C:Windows partition RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I find this rather frustrating as I keep losing space on my Windows partition C:

I haven't installed anything for about 4-5 months (except the video drivers which are starting to not respond properly but that's for another question/topic).

I'd like to know what can I do to clean up/speed up my computer. It's really annoying, seeing how doing absolutely nothing eats up space. (I do however download a lot of music and ebooks, but the download folders are hosted on another partition.)

I've run CCleaner, defrag and disk cleanup. All I got back was 2gb. When I got the computer I had 47 gb free (after installing the software and games, obviously), now I'm down to 32.

Thanks in advance!

Economist, nerd, social media evangelist, science & technology geek.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to let you know that the files which were stored under Desktop folder, My Music, My Pictures, My Documents are in disk C also. And, some program’s data file are saved under the user account folder.

In addition, the hibernation should cost some space in disk C. The volume depends on your memory space.

As a result, if you want to save the space in disk C, please check if there is any un-useful data stored under C:\Users folder and disable hibernation.

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by itsarijit21 Friday, July 20, 2012 5:44 PM
    Friday, July 20, 2012 9:15 AM
  • Hi Kim,

Already did that. I have everything disabled and stuff. And there's no data stored in my documents folder (the one that contains My Pictures and stuff). I only have the ASUS recovery tmp folder that stores Windows recovery (and they recommended I shouldn't delete). :)

Could it be because I download a ton of stuff via torrent? (It's not piracy if you're worrying about that kind of thing, I'm downloading my favourite shows because where I live right now they don't have a channel that airs them in English).

So, what else could it be?

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Saturday, July 21, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Hi,

If the things you downloaded via torrent and saved in disk C, yes, they should cost the space. For ASUS Recovery folder, you may contact ASUS support and check if we can delete something from this folder.

In addition, I still recommend disable hibernation.

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Sunday, July 22, 2012 1:30 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your answers!

No, I save the files somewhere else. I did some tinkering and managed to free up some 3gb of space.

I'm calmer now. :)

But I'll keep looking into this issue...

All the best,

Eduard

Monday, July 23, 2012 7:16 PM