Taskbar with multiple rows of icons RRS feed

• Question

• If the taskbar is at the bottom of the screen and you expand it, then the icons are allowed to expand into multiple rows if it gets filled. This is not the case if the taskbar is placed at the side of the screen.

I prefer the taskbar at the side of the screen so I can show the date & time and whole system tray without using up a lot of taskbar space. My display is 1366x768 and it only takes a handful of icons to fill the taskbar. Is there a way to get it to work in multiple columns similar to what happens when the taskbar is at the bottom or top of the screen?

If this is not possible, how can I get this feedback to Microsoft for consideration? I don't see a channel for Windows 7 on connect.microsoft.com.
    Monday, November 2, 2009 12:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Darkforcesjedi,

Thank you for your suggestion. I will forward it to our feedback team as a feature request.

Thank you for choosing Microsoft. :D
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Monday, November 16, 2009 6:19 AM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 5:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Darkforcesjedi,

Thank you for your suggestion. I will forward it to our feedback team as a feature request.

• Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Monday, November 16, 2009 6:19 AM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 5:57 AM
  • Hi Darkforcesjedi,

first, sorry for digging up this thread but...

the fact that we can have multiple rows of app icons when taskbar is horizontal and we can't have multiple columns when it's vertical seems an obvious bug, so.... any news on a fix?

Sunday, November 13, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Yes, Please, its annoying, lets have icons in multiple row in vertical bar!
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 12:40 AM
  • FFS FIX THIS PROBLEM.

Lack of multiple columns on the vertical taskbar kept me away from windows 7 for more than a year and even after I installed it, it's my only serious gripe to an otherwise fantastic OS. My work forces me to have 20+ windows open,  I don't want to combine them, and the scrollbar is a serious hassle. 

This is obviously an oversight by Microsoft since you included the feature on the horizontal bar.

FIX IT, FIX, FIX IT!!!!

• Edited by Lev1974 Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:37 PM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:19 PM
  • I'd also like to see it.

Not quite a bug... I would call it a design oversight. The side taskbar has gotten more popular with Win7, but this really limits its practicality.

Monday, September 24, 2012 3:44 PM