none
Modifying an OOB Web Part RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently using Project Server 2010 and have a requirement to connect users to projects, project detail pages and project sites that are relevant to them from a single "list" displayed on the home page in PWA - there is an aversion amongst users to clicking around within a site to find things.

We have explored an option to create a crude list that is manually updated - whilst this will work it is to my mind far from elegant and a bit like parking a bicycle next to a Ferrari when considering the capabilities and functionality typically available to users within PWA.

Before users suggest showing the Project Centre and having users click the icons for Risks, Issues etc we have a slight problem in that we are using a custom site template and mysteriously we are not getting these icons appear when a project site has risks and issues within it.

I am keen to learn if it is possible to take an existing web part, the ProjectWorkspacesPart  and to make a copy of it and then edit the copy to include options for also displaying the project schedule and project detail pages.

I have downloaded a copy of the webpart and explored its contents using wordpad - I hasten to add I am not a developer and do not possess any developer type skills. From what I can see in wordpad the information displayed relates solely to how the webpart is displayed in the WebPart Gallery itself rather than revealing the mechanics of its operation which is what I was hoping for.

Am I looking in the wrong place or are my ambitions unrealistic?

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Thursday, April 13, 2017 4:20 PM

Answers

• Why not just dev your own web part? I would leave the existing one alone - you might be able to develop you own that loaded the default one but to be honest I would just build my own with the features needed. This could either all be via the PSI or a combination of PSI (to get list of projects you can access) then SQL to query the reporting DB to get the data needed to drive the web part - this all depends what you want on the web part.

I would also look at fixing your project site template so the icons work as expected.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Friday, April 14, 2017 7:32 AM

All replies

• Why not just dev your own web part? I would leave the existing one alone - you might be able to develop you own that loaded the default one but to be honest I would just build my own with the features needed. This could either all be via the PSI or a combination of PSI (to get list of projects you can access) then SQL to query the reporting DB to get the data needed to drive the web part - this all depends what you want on the web part.

I would also look at fixing your project site template so the icons work as expected.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Friday, April 14, 2017 7:32 AM
  • Dear Paul,

Thanks for your suggestions - I will be in contact directly.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 7:20 AM