Word with links to Excel tries to open a fresh instance of the excel file instead of using the open one. RRS feed

• Question

• I generate pricing on and enter all customer detail an excel 2013 sheet " (*.xlsm) (for export to access).

A quote is then prepared by opening the word file (*.dotm) with field codes (set to manual update).

I update the fields in the word doc by selecting them and hitting F9 and my quote is ready for conversion to pdf.

This has been working fine for 20 years prior to updating to office 2013.

Now though,

**word 2013 does not see the already open excel file and instead tries to open a fresh instance.**

Naturally this new instance of excel file is "Locked", so I am presented with a read only option.
    If read only is chosen (once for each of the 70 links) the info off the "virgin *.xslm" template is transmitted correctly.

My only work around has been to save the xlm file and close it.
    Everything works ok with the excel file closed.

I want word to reference the open file so I can make rapid edits etc without opening the excel file multiple times and destroying my template fro each quote (as I have been able to do for the last 20 years).

A sample of the field code with a path which has worked ok for the last 20 years is:
    LINK Excel.SheetMacroEnabled.12 "E:\\__Quotes\\_Templates\\AIO2.xlsm" "Details!RQuote1" \t \* CHARFORMAT

I tried
    LINK Excel.SheetMacroEnabled.12 "AIO2.xlsm" "Details!RQuote1" \t \* CHARFORMATonly that's not a valid link

Thanks in advance, can anyone point me in the right direction.

PS when I create a new link from scratch (paste special | paste link | Rich text etc) I get same behaviour.

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 3:48 AM