random vista crashing RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hopefully people still use this thread...pleasee

I just got a new HP laptop 4 days ago

• AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-60 (2.0GHz)
    • 2 x 512KB L2 cache
    • 3GB DDR2 SDRAM (both slots occupied, shared)
    • 250GB (5,400RPM) SATA hard drive
    • 8x DVD±RW drive with Double Layer support
    • 17.0" WXGA+ BrightView widescreen display; 1440 x 900 native resolution
    • NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7150M UMA (integrated graphics)

I installed all the windows updates and proper anit-virus/spybot, etc
    In those 4 days, the laptop randomly shows a black screen with power on and then reboots by itself. Upon logging back in it says my system shutdown from an unexpected error. I am doubting it is the hardware because
    a) IT's A NEW LAPTOP!
    b) many people seem to have the same problem with vista

does anyone know how to fix this problem yet? this thread seems a year old but I am hoping someone found a solution since then..

also, each time it crashed I was on internet explorer... I dont know if this was a coincidence or not, but just adding...

thanks

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Sunday, February 26, 2012 8:06 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows Vista Announcements)
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:00 PM

All replies

•  

• Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system Settings ->Advanced -> Settings -> Under "Write debugging information" -> Select "Small memory dump" .
    • Enable verifier by running the below from a command prompt

verifier /all /flags 0xffb

• Restart the system
    • Do all your normal work. If you get lucky and a bugcheck occurs,restart the system and collect the dump file (%SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP)
    • Send the file to dump3roses@gmail.com

verifier /reset

run from a command prompt will bring you back to your original state; i.e. disables verifier

Saturday, June 28, 2008 11:34 AM
  • Hi there, the first thing to do would be to open a command line and type       sfc /scannow

Windows will look for faults in it's critical file system and attempt to repair them whilst running live.

Failing that Windows Vista will allow you to carry out an 'in place upgrade' on top of itself and this has the same effect as XPs repair install.

• Proposed as answer by Roger Andre Sunday, February 26, 2012 9:45 AM
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 6:17 AM