none
Reource levelling RRS feed

• Question

• Using MS Project 2013 professional (no project server) I am constantly having problems with resource levelling - which is really the only reason I use MS Project. I gave up on resource pools, and almost gave up on MS Project because of constant hanging when trying to level resources - Microsoft did solve that problems with a hotfix so I decided to try again.

Resouce levelling still does not work, I have reduced the problem to a resource working 100% on 4 tasks, no constraints, not different priorities, no others resources in the project, no part time, but Project still complains that it cannot solve overallocation and schedules tasks to overlap.

Originially my tasks were set up with Fixed Work (which is important) but changing type makes no difference. Adjusting priorities and selecting priority as levelling does not either.

Any ideas? All thoughts appreciated.

Valgardur Gudjonsson

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 12:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Is project leaving the resources as overallocated because their peak units are above 100%. With Fixed Work task types, resources may be overallocated on a single task if the duration was dropped.  Try adding the Peak Units field to the Resource usage view.

Is your leveling calculation set to Day by Day or Week by Week?

Do the tasks have an actual start date?

Is this a project you can share via email?

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 2:34 PM
  • Thanks for a quick reply..

Peak is 400%, I don't seem to be able to change this.

Duration is already set, initially "estimated".

I am using day by day - at first some tasks had actual dates but I deleted those to try to isolate the problem.

Yes I could share this.

Valgardur Gudjonsson

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 10:40 AM
  • First of all, the "estimated" durations (with the "?") will make no difference at all to leveling.

Where you say "some tasks had actual dates" I am going to assume that this means that you have date constraints rather than actual start and actual finish dates.

But before I do, tasks with actual start and actual finish dates cannot be delayed by leveling (because nothing trumps actuals).

If you have date constraints which allow the task to be later than they are scheduled without leveling, such as SNET, then they will not affect leveling. The tasks will just get delayed beyond their SNET dates. Are you sure that you have removed the date constraints? Go to task information, advanced and set the constraint type to ASAP.

If you have resources assigned to both a summary and one of its tasks, MSP will not be able to resolve over-allocation by leveling. No matter what it does, the resource will remain over-allocated.

Apart form Julie's observation, which I am sure is correct although I haven't tested it right now, task type and effort driven settings should have no affect on leveling.

The leveling options dialogue box has a number of check boxes, which I call the leveling "fine tuning" options. I always prefer to un-check them all to start with and go for a raw leveling result first. Try this.

I use leveling a lot, all the time, for years and years. It works fine.

If possible, email me the file to trevorATperfectproject.com.au so I can see what you are dealing with.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 12:01 PM
  • Thanks for the reply..

yes I understand how actual dates work, I guess I should have been more clear, but in my original project there were a lot of tasks, some with actual dates, some not.. I found the levelling for tasks with no actual dates strange so I created a new project and copied four tasks - none with actual dates.

I also remove the resource allocation for summary tasks.

There are no date constraints.

I played with the check boxes in the resource levelling, I use similar approach, start with un-checked and then refine.

I have been using Project for levelling (well on and off) for over 20 years. Lately I have been running into some weird problems, Microsoft solved one.

I hope this is a weird mistake, oversight - and I would appreciate if you can have a look - I will send an example.

Valgardur Gudjonsson

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 1:31 PM
  • "Level only within available slack" was checked, should be un-checked. Please propose as answer.
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 12:55 AM
  • It sounds like Trevor has a copy of the file - I'll let him look at the details.  As Trevor notes, if the tasks had actual start dates, unless you are allowing Project to split in-progress tasks (leveling setting) those tasks will not be delayed.
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 12:57 PM
  • Trevor, leveling settings are per machine - not per project file. You are seeing your settings - not the OP.  Did unchecking level only within available slack solve all overallocations?
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 12:58 PM
  • Thank you for the reply – and helpful information - and e-mail. 

I never use or set finish date of my projects this is (if I understand correctly) calculated by MS Project. 

For the example I e-maild I created a new project, copied four tasks from my original project and pasted. 

In the original project, I did not have levelling within available slack checked - some tasks were being levelled into 2016, while these were overallocated in the next few weeks. 

So, although this helps with my example, it does not solve my problem..

And yes, I should have noticed the "level only within slack" in my example project..

Valgardur Gudjonsson

Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:06 PM
  • one stupid question - If I mark as answer will this issue be closed?

Valgardur Gudjonsson

Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:06 PM
  • In the example I sent Trevor the levelling setting were as he describes, my mistake in the example I sent.. and in that example levelling works after I unchecked.

But, unfortunately, not the case in my original project.

As I am going on an approx. 2 weeks vacation - I would appreciate if I can create a better example and demonstrate my problem when back..

Valgardur Gudjonsson

Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:10 PM
  • No.  You can mark an answer and the thread will still be here.  People post to answered questions frequently.  The problem is some people only show unanswered questions.  So, you can either start a new thread when you return or keep this one going.
    Friday, May 30, 2014 12:03 AM
  • I am not sure what the status is of this post. I assume that the Resource Leveling (RL)  issues have been resolved as it is almost two years since the original post. Having said that, I'd like to add a couple of points to consider when doing Resource Leveling.

Firstly, it isn't true to say that  RL doesn't work. If the setup is correct, then it works well

In terms of setup, there are a couple of basic rules which can help. Here are some of mine:

• Fixed units and NOT effort driven.  
    • Don't put resources at summary task level
    • Don't put resources on Milestone tasks
    • Don't expect RL to work if tasks have already started (% complete not 0)
    • Put priorities on all tasks. It's true that RL will go from top to bottom, but if you use priorities then you don't have to enter your tasks sequentially
    • Make task constraint "as soon as possible"
    • If you are using predecessors and priorities (which is fine), you may need to add in some crucial predecessors to help the process
    • Put the priorities in the Gantt picture so that you can easily see what is happening
    • If Level All gets stuck, hit the ESC key and level resources one by one until you identify which Resource is causing trouble

Monday, April 11, 2016 2:48 PM