IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL during setup Vista Ultimate x64 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi guys! have this very weird and annoying problem happening to me when installing windows vista ultimate x64.

I just set up a new gaming rig. But when i pop in the dvd of vista and boot, the loading of files will be ok, but afterwards, after loading, the BSOD that says IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL pops up suddenly. so setup doesn't even initialize.

But here's the weird thing, for some unknown reason, i can actually install the x86 version of windows vista ultimate that i borrowed from my cousin. so i'm currently stuck using the 32bit one.. and i tried installing my old xp home edition and it worked too!

here's my new specs just in case:

Intel Q6600 2.4GHZ Quad Core
    Intel DQ965GF Motherboard
    Palit Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS
    2 1GB GEIL PC533 DDR2 (i know.. i bought a wrong one accidentally)
    400GB Western Digital SATA Hard drive

the other stuff like DVD writers i just recycled off..

I already tested my ram with memtest and there wasn't any error after 20 passes. and i tried the windows memory diagnostic too, no error either. i'm completely stumped.. can this be a hardware compatibility thing?

any help would be really appreciated..
    Wednesday, November 28, 2007 8:57 AM

Answers

•  

Hi spencnyt,

Thank you for the post.  

This bug check is issued if paged memory (or invalid memory) is accessed when the IRQL is too high.

The error that generatesing this bug check usually occurs after the installation of a faulty device driver, system service, or BIOS.

To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thank you for your time and cooperation!

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, November 30, 2007 2:01 AM

All replies

•  

Hi spencnyt,

Thank you for the post.  

This bug check is issued if paged memory (or invalid memory) is accessed when the IRQL is too high.

The error that generatesing this bug check usually occurs after the installation of a faulty device driver, system service, or BIOS.

To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thank you for your time and cooperation!

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, November 30, 2007 2:01 AM
  • I have the exact same error. I have actually repeated the error with several different settings. Ideally I wanted to run XP64 as my main OS and Vista64 as a test. Now I have tried install on those two OS and XP32 all with the same error. The reason for being so vigilant about the different installs is I have changed everything else on the board but the error remains the same,
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    Technical Information:*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0X000000000000000,0X000000000000002,0X00000000000 0001,0XFFFFFADFE352EDB8)
    *** USBPORT.SYS – Address FFFFFFADFE352EDB8 base at FFFFFADFE3527000, DateStamp 42435eb4

In research I found that the Nvidia drivers that run the USBPORT.sys file have had this error more often with XP64 bit systems. So I tried XP 32. Same error. So then tried Vista and again same error. BTW I have also tried RAM from the ASUS QVL. Same error no matter what RAM I use. Now I post away seeking help.
    Any ideas I am up for a challenge. I have already messed with every setting I swore I never would. I do wonder if it might be the 8800gts, still a possibility.
    Thing is, I had it running like a dream for a few hours more than once. Now no luck at all. The error is prominent no matter what I change. PLEASE HELP!!!

I will try to get online with a rep on tuesday and see if I can gt anywhere through the debug file.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:27 AM
  • I have Vista 64bit professional with Intel 9870 Xtreme Quadcore processor and Nvidia 8800 Xtreme graphics card. My computer used to give blue screen every day with the IRQL error. I have tested my RAM and it is fine. One of the main culprit for the problem is Nvidia graphics driver. After I updated my graphics driver, the problem decreased to one crash every week. The crash occurs very randomly even when I am not working on my computer. I hope we get a new patch soon that resolves the issue.

Sunday, April 6, 2008 5:39 PM
  • I was able to resolve this issue by doing a few things. First it is very important to use the default settings on the Bios to get throught the boot. The only settings that might be different are the speed and power settings for the RAM. These might need to be adjusted lower to the proper power and speed for your RAM. Vista has a tendancy of setting them both too high for the RAM specs. Also, I found that after I had installed drivers on any one of my installation, 64x would fail. It was only after the full Vista 64x install, going through the full windows updates, that any other drivers would not cause a fault. If by chance you had been trying to install with more than 3GB of RAM this would also cause a page fault. VISTA 64x WILL NOT INSTALL WITH MORE THAN 3GB of RAM. To be safe, I used 2 for my install. After all updates had finished, there is a hotfix to allow greater than 3GB of RAM. Once all updates are complete, then go forward with the custom driver installations.

To give you hope, I love Vista 64x! It runs perfectly. A few games do not support it, but most do. So you can get your beast of a machine working, just tinker with the settings. Possibly make a backup of your Bios and then flash it to a different version. Be sure to start with all things new. Wipe the drive, make sure no settings are active. Nvidia has not provided adequate drivers for their chipsets or video cards for Vista64. You may need to try a fe to get it to work.

Good Luck and tell me how it goes.

Monday, April 7, 2008 7:38 PM
  • I'm in agreement with rhythm tech. I'm not there yet but first tried install with 8Gb no go... various BSOD. Went down to 4GB...no problemo. After some but not all updates went to 8GB. Hello aforementioned error. I need to find that hotfix and then try again. Wish me luck.

System

Asus P5e

Q6600

8800 GTS512 w/latest driver.

Update. Has been so long I forgot about this post. Ultimately my problem was a brand new DOA stick of RAM that caused all the chaos. Until recent times I have not been accustomed to DOA parts....so much for quality control

Sunday, April 27, 2008 2:55 AM
  •  

Same issue, but w/ 32 bit.  Installed a 3rd stick to get to 3GB and BSOD.  What is the hotfix number?
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 3:51 PM
  • One way of resolving this issue is to install the OS with minimum RAM. Go ahead and do a full MS Update to obtain a full batch of updates. If I am not mistaken the updates have been included with SP2. But just incase here is the link to the post from Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777

They include both the 64 and 32 bit patches.

After all updates have been installed then you may install the additional RAM.

I hope this has been helpful.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:21 PM