Word 2010 Pro: Blank New Page not coming up at Word startup RRS feed

• Question

• Computer: Win7 Ult 32b, Office 2010 Pro plus  :: Not part of AD or on a Domain

I have cleared and saved the normal.dotm file in the templates directory. Did not work. Once I started word the same doc file came up.

I have deleted the nomal.dotm file.  I have noticed that the normal.dotm file is not being recreated once word is restarted.

Delete normal.dotm restarted PC then start word did not work.

Delete normal.dotm then close all office apps then restart word, does not work.

In Word 2010 the template directory is define correctly: C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

I have reset, deleted and cleared up everything I know how to do and have read about. This one has me truly perplexed.

The doc file Word always opens up too is located in the users my documents folder. I removed the file and put it on the desktop and WOrd still opened up the document like it was cached somewhere.

HELP Please.....

DJO_Network Support Tech
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:44 PM

Answers

• If you delete the Normal.dotm file, Word will create a new one and, by preference, it will base it on your old Normal.dot from an earlier version of Word, if you have one.

See if you have a Normal.dot (in the same location as your Normal.dotm was) and - as well as deleting your Normal.dotm - edit it, or rename it, or move it somewhere else, or, if it has no worthwhile content, delete it - whatever takes your fancy - and see if Word then starts with a clean document.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Friday, May 20, 2011 9:18 AM
  • Are you sure that the user templates folder is set to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates?

Check under File>Options>Advanced>General>File Locations

If it is set to some other location, check in that location for a Normal.dotm file.
     -- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"DOspital_SUSD" wrote in message news:45035462-1e4c-4258-9b65-de9850db5e15@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Computer: Win7 Ult 32b, Office 2010 Pro plus  :: Not part of AD or on a Domain

I have cleared and saved the normal.dotm file in the templates directory. Did not work. Once I started word the same doc file came up.

I have deleted the nomal.dotm file.  I have noticed that the normal.dotm file is not being recreated once word is restarted.

Delete normal.dotm restarted PC then start word did not work.

In Word 2010 the template directory is define correctly: C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

I have reset, deleted and cleared up everything I know how to do and have read about. This one has me truly perplexed.

The doc file Word always opens up too is located in the users my documents folder. I removed the file and put it on the desktop and WOrd still opened up the document like it was cached somewhere.

HELP Please.....

DJO_Network Support Tech

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Friday, May 20, 2011 9:39 AM

All replies

• Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

You can follow these steps to troubleshoot this issue:

Step 1: Determine the template that is used by the document

1.       Start Word 2010.

2.       Click File on the Ribbon, and then click Word Options.

3.       Click Add-Ins.

4.       In the Manage box, click Templates under View and manage Office add-ins

5.       Click Go.

The Document template box will list the template that is used by the document. If the template listed is Normal, go to step 2. Otherwise, go to step 3.

Step 2: Repair Office 2010

1.       Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2.       Click Programs and Features.

3.       Click the Office 2010 program that you want to repair, and then click Change.

4.       Click Repair, and then click Continue. You might need to restart your computer after the repair is complete.

Step 3: Change the document template

1.       Open the problem document in Word 2010.

2.       Click File on the Ribbon, and then click Word Options.

3.       Click Add-Ins.

4.       In the Manage box, click Templates under View and manage Office add-ins, and then click Go.

5.       Click Attach.

6.       In the Templates folder, click Normal.dotm, and then click Open.

7.       Click OK to close the Templates and Add-ins dialog box.

8.       Exit Word 2010

If it still not work fine ,you can refer to this link:

How to troubleshoot problems that occur when you start or use Word 2010, Word 2007, Word 2003, or Word 2002

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely

William Zhou CHN
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Friday, May 20, 2011 8:48 AM
  • If you delete the Normal.dotm file, Word will create a new one and, by preference, it will base it on your old Normal.dot from an earlier version of Word, if you have one.

See if you have a Normal.dot (in the same location as your Normal.dotm was) and - as well as deleting your Normal.dotm - edit it, or rename it, or move it somewhere else, or, if it has no worthwhile content, delete it - whatever takes your fancy - and see if Word then starts with a clean document.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Friday, May 20, 2011 9:18 AM
  • Are you sure that the user templates folder is set to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates?

Check under File>Options>Advanced>General>File Locations

If it is set to some other location, check in that location for a Normal.dotm file.
     -- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"DOspital_SUSD" wrote in message news:45035462-1e4c-4258-9b65-de9850db5e15@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Computer: Win7 Ult 32b, Office 2010 Pro plus  :: Not part of AD or on a Domain

Delete normal.dotm restarted PC then start word did not work.

I have reset, deleted and cleared up everything I know how to do and have read about. This one has me truly perplexed.

The doc file Word always opens up too is located in the users my documents folder. I removed the file and put it on the desktop and WOrd still opened up the document like it was cached somewhere.

HELP Please.....

DJO_Network Support Tech

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Friday, May 20, 2011 9:39 AM
  • I seem to have the same problem, and none of these suggestions works for me.

I have Word 2010 as part of Home and Business 2010.  I could not "repair" H&B2010, and I could not fine Word 2010 otherwise in the Programs and Features.

When I try #3, to delete the Normal template, I am told I cannot, because it is "open."  When I opened a file in another template format, the templates folder was not accessible through the following

"4.      In theManage box, click Templates under View and manage Office add-ins, and then clickGo.

5.      ClickAttach. "

I need more advice.

Thanks

Bill McKeown

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:00 PM
  • I seem to have the same problem, and none of these suggestions works for me.

I have Word 2010 as part of Home and Business 2010.  I could not "repair" H&B2010, and I could not fine Word 2010 otherwise in the Programs and Features.

When I try #3, to delete the Normal template, I am told I cannot, because it is "open." 

Before you can delete Normal.dotm, you must exit Word. If it still doesn't work, make sure to delete any left-over "lock" files (~$Normal.dotm) in the user templates folder. See also http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm.

To locate the correct user templates folder, look in the File Locations dialog box (File tab | Options | Advanced | File Locations). In addition, you should display hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:17 PM
  • One more app to close is Outlook... it also uses Word.

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:22 PM
  • How do I access the location of Normal from outside of Word?

Also, replying to R Michaels: we have Outlook as part of the Office package, but we never use it.

As far as I know, it is not turned "on."  If it, nevertheless, is "on," how do I turn it "off"?

thanks for all your advice to this most technically uneducated user.

Bill McKeown

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:52 PM
  • The usual location for the Normal template is: %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates

Regarding open Word documents or Outlook. If you restart the system you usually can be pretty certain no Office app is running. However, if still in doubt, right click on the status bar and open Task Manager. Look for Outlook or Winword running.

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

Thursday, May 30, 2013 1:46 AM
  • How do I access the location of Normal from outside of Word?

As I wrote, once you know the path, you can navígate to the folder containing Normal.dotm in Windows Explorer, the same way you can open C:\ (for example).

Alternatively, simply search Windows Explorer for the file name.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Thursday, May 30, 2013 6:58 AM
  • Dear Ron and Stefan:

Thanks for your patience and your help.  I think I fixed it following your last advice.

My use of the computer is quite limited: I only use Word and WordPerfect to write documents and letters that I print.  I also use Internet Explorer and Safari to access information on the web, but I do little or nothing actually on the web and have no interest in doing so.  I do have extra security and keep my privacy settings as high as I can.  I turn off and disconnect my computer and access to the net when not actually using them.  

I know so little that I did not know what Stefan meant when he referenced "Windows Explorer," but I think, as a practical matter, I figured that out.  Given my level of activity, it is likely I will not remember the term "Windows Explorer" unless someone mentions it to me again.

Not surprising: I also do not have a "smart phone" and have no interest in getting one.

I do have one very big complaint: the providers of programs (e.g. Microsoft, but all others also) keep on "improving" their programs by making them bigger and more complicated, and then they sell the "improvements" as "innovative" and "more efficient" (and stop supporting the earlier, simpler versions).  For me, that makes these products continually less useful, not more useful.  The "Ribbon" is a just one case among many others.  Why force us to re-learn stuff we already learned for another program?  (The answer: to sell more.)      

Is there any hope for simple folk like me who have no interest in "innovation" or "efficiency" as defined by technology companies that keep selling their stuff using methods like those used by razor blade companies to sell blades?  As far as I am concerned, a computer (and its programs) and a razor blade are alike in that both are commodities that are useful from time to time but ought to be treated as no more than commodities.  Certainly they should not take over our lives.

Thanks again.  And thanks for allowing me to rant here.

Bill McKeown

Friday, May 31, 2013 1:46 PM