none
Side-loading feature no longer working?

Question

• Hey there,

We deploy Apps to customer tenants by the fairly well-known method of side-loading.

This involves

• Enabling the side loading feature 'AE3A1339-61F5-4f8f-81A7-ABD2DA956A7D'
    • Calling the PnP commandlet Import-SPOAppPackage
    • Turning off side-loading.

I noticed today that the feature now lo longer stays active after you add it and the Import-SPOAppPackage fails with error:

Import-SPOAppPackage : web.CurrentUser is null

or

Import-SPOAppPackage : The remote server returned an unexpected response: (405) Method Not Allowed.

or

Import-SPOAppPackage : Sideloading of apps is not enabled on this site.

Has anyone been able to reproduce this, or has a workaround?

Cheers,

James.

James Boman BSc. MCP:EAD

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 6:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You may need Enable app SideLoading for your site.

Here is one thread mentioned this issue for your reference:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/officeapps/2013/12/10/enable-app-sideloading-in-your-non-developer-site-collection/

Best Regards,

Lee

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 6:09 AM
  • Lee,

It is exactly the process you linked to that no longer appears to work for me for new production tenants.  Curiously, older ones appears to be okay for now.

Any further suggestions you might have would be appreciated.

Cheers,

James

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 6:33 AM
  • Hi,

What’s the error if you try to Enable this feature only?(the script mentioned in above thread works for me)

Best Regards,

Lee

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 7:06 AM
  • Okay so an update on this problem.

I was attempting to perform the side loading via Delegated Admin Identity that has been granted access to the site collection (Foreign Security Principal)

I have found that you can enable the Side-Loading feature on the site collection via the Delegated Admin identity, but not side-load the APP package.

I have found that you can't enable the side-loading feature using a local Site Collection Administrator, but once the side-loading feature is enabled, you can side-load the APP package using this account.

Microsoft appear to be making changes to this mechanism and different tenants appear to be behaving differently.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 2:01 AM