vmm2008 on a virtual machine RRS feed

• Question

•  

can vmm2008 be installed into a virtual machine itself - or does it have to be installed on a physical box.  our 2007 version is on a vm and works just fine.

thanks

bj

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:33 PM

Answers

• Regarding where to install it you can create a VM and install VMM inside that VM, that VM can also be a highly available VM running on Hyper-V failover cluster.
    This way you can make VMM highly available.
    Please keep in mind that when you install VMM in a VM, from administrator console you are managing itself! Therefore if you do a shut down to the host or do a quick migration (which will also encounter service interruption) your admin console will be shut down.
    You can use the W2K8 failover clustering UI for migrating the VMM VM resource to another node though (basically quick migration)
    Makes sense?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 11:38 PM

All replies

• Hi BJ,

Yes VMM 2008 can be installed into a Virtual Machine given that all of the system requirements are met, system requirements can be found here.

-matt
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:07 PM
  • thanks for the reply.  as a follow up - here is what we have. 

Four hosts running Virtual Server 2005
    one host running hyper-V
    on vm currently running vmm2007

Should i install vmm2008 on the parent virtual machine running the hyper-v host or should i create new virtual machine on that host and install vmm2008 on that?

also, i assume i can keep running vmm2007 until i have finished the vmm2008 install and then i can kill off vmm2007?

does this sound like the right plan of attack?

thanks

bj
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:02 PM
  • Hi BJ,

I personally migrated to a new 2008 environment, instead of trying to upgrade from 2007...  So if it makes sense in your environment I would create a second VM, install VMM 2008 in that and then start moving your hosts (uninstalling the 2007 agent and adding host on 2008).  This redects your VMs.  I found that there was some lost data that had to be changed but in my scenario we had a significantly different environment with 2008 than with 2007 so it worked out pretty well...

-matt
    If this post is helpful, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by M Fawzi Saturday, December 13, 2008 8:03 AM
    Friday, December 12, 2008 10:34 PM
  • Regarding where to install it you can create a VM and install VMM inside that VM, that VM can also be a highly available VM running on Hyper-V failover cluster.
    This way you can make VMM highly available.
    Please keep in mind that when you install VMM in a VM, from administrator console you are managing itself! Therefore if you do a shut down to the host or do a quick migration (which will also encounter service interruption) your admin console will be shut down.
    You can use the W2K8 failover clustering UI for migrating the VMM VM resource to another node though (basically quick migration)
    Makes sense?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 11:38 PM