Customizing Service Manager Roles RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to System Center Service Manager.  I was instructed not to use the delivered roles, but rather, create our own custom roles from the given templates.  So I've created a role for my "incident resolvers" and purposefully selected the views, tasks, forms, etc. that I think are appropriate for their role.  I was mostly successful, however, I can not seem to get the "Link to Problem" task to work.  I receive a permissions errror.  Does anyone know the task name and associated management pack that will grant access to this task? 
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 6:08 PM

Answers

• Creating custom user roles that are very restrictive (and very close to the individual requirements) can be a hard work. This can be even more painful if the requirements are changing after a while for some reason. 

Most of the time our customers are fine with using the default user roles.

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Thursday, September 27, 2012 9:13 PM

All replies

• Management Pack is "Service Manager Problem Management Library".

Tasks related to the "Service Manager Problem Management Library":

• Link Problem
    • Close
    • Reactivate
    • Resolve
    • Create Problem
    • Change Status
    • Properties

Hope this helps.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Thanks Andreas.  Unfortunately, I have all of those tasks selected from that management pack and I'm still getting the error.  Do you have any other suggestions?

Angie Herring

Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:24 PM
  • Which tasks you selected for Incident Management?

Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:53 PM
  • I have the option to chose from 27 tasks in the Service Manager Incident Management Library mp.  All are selected except one, "Properties - Configure System Center Configuration Manager Desired Configuration Management Incident workflows." 

Angie Herring

Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:03 PM
  • You choosed "Incident Resolvers" to create your new role? It looks like something is missing in this allow to linking incidents to problems. Maybe you should try another default user role to create your own user role, for instance "Advanced Operator" 

Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:58 PM
  • Yes, I will try.  Am I going about this correctly?  It seems very intense and laborious to create these custom roles.  Are others doing the same?  What I don't want is for my technicians and others to be able to add, edit, and delete views as well as other, what I would call, admin functions.  Customizing the roles is the only way to prevent this - correct?

Angie Herring

Thursday, September 27, 2012 9:06 PM
  • Creating custom user roles that are very restrictive (and very close to the individual requirements) can be a hard work. This can be even more painful if the requirements are changing after a while for some reason. 

Most of the time our customers are fine with using the default user roles.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 9:13 PM