XP SP3 Desktop Freezes intermittently RRS feed

• Question

• I know this is similar to a number of other posts, but I haven't found a solution to my scenario yet.  I am running Windows XP SP3, IE8 and a number of popular programs like MS Office 2007, Adobe Acrobat 8.0, etc.  My issue is that intermittently, my desktop freezes, that is to say, whatever is open at the time freezes, but the mouse is still active.  The task bar can sometimes come up (I have auto-hide selected),  but only once and most of the time I can't select anything.  The caplock and numlock keys work; Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work.  One thing peculiar is that when I hit Alt-Tab, all the running programs are shown, but there is always one application that is listed twice...but not always the same application.  This has been going on for about a year and I haven't found any correlation or repeatability to narrow down the problem.  The only way out is to power down.  This can sometimes happen 4-5 times in a day or not at all for a week. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Please let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks...

One other thing I forgot...Quite often after I reboot from a freezeup, my active desktop needs to be recovered.  There is a script error when I try to recover, so I have to go to properties and select my desktop background again.
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 8:22 PM

All replies

• Most likely is your hard drive going bad.  The other is you have defective memory.  Use Memtest86 to test your system memory.  If that checks good, I would recommend replacing your hard drive.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, April 29, 2011 11:10 AM
  • Thanks...I'll give it a try this as soon as I can.
    Robert L. Fogg
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:31 PM
  • Most likely is your hard drive going bad.  The other is you have defective memory.  Use Memtest86 to test your system memory.  If that checks good, I would recommend replacing your hard drive.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

I agree with Rick Dee

Had similar problems with computers at work, five to be exact.

Four had bad hard-drives  and one had a bad memory module.

Can you run a HDD test from BIOS mode on your computer?
    Usually you can run memory test from BIOS mode also..

Friday, May 6, 2011 9:32 AM