Workflow or Network Scanning via SMB from Xerox WorkCentre to Server 2012R2 Fails - SMB3 Compatibility Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

We recently migrated one of our file servers from 2008 R2 to 2012 R2 and one of the unexpected snafus we ran into was the sudden inability to perform Workflow Scanning / Network Scanning (via SMB protocol) from several Xerox WorkCentre models (5050, 5150, 5775, 6400XF, 7346) to our Windows Server 2012 R2 server.

SYMPTOM:

The most consistent symptom was that the Xerxo WorkCentre units would produce a folder called something like "DOC***.LCK" with an empty file inside of it named "LOCKINFO.DAT".  Opening lockinfo.dat with notepad showed absolutely nothing - it was essentially a null file.  Previously, on Server 2008 R2, the resulting file would have been a PDF.

Monday, August 17, 2015 6:44 PM

Answers

• I spent the last week working through this issue on various Xerox WorkCentre models with the help of our Xerox distributor/service company, so I thought I'd post the solution(s) here to maybe save someone else some time and headaches.

SOLUTION:

In general, the Xerox WorkCentre models all seemed to be failing due to an incompatibility between their existing firmware versions and SMB3 on Windows Server 2012/R2.  The solution was somewhat obvious, (update the firmware on the WorkCentre units) but difficult to come by due to Xerox keeping several of the firmware updates unavailable for download to the general public.

The key break in determining if updated firmware was even available came when I stumbled upon a "Software Release Quick Lookup Table" spreadsheet on Xerox's website.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCkQFjAAahUKEwiFj4Tz5LDHAhWTQZIKHdVYAiY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.xerox.com%2Fdownloads%2Fusa%2Fen%2Fc%2Fcert_Software_Release_Quick_Lookup_Table.xls&ei=eS3SVcXuFZODyQTVsYmwAg&usg=AFQjCNHNnq4KmETyLNCrIqU4rYdwB_VhUg&bvm=bv.99804247,d.aWw

Under the "Software Levels" tab of the spreadsheet, you can lookup your model, and then any available firmware or SPAR updates for your unit should be listed.  In my case, the firmware updates that were needed to correct this issue had a note in the "How to obtain?" field with something like, "Customer downloadable; Must contact the Xerox Support Center and request this release."  

In working with our Xerox reseller/support reps, it wasn't always immediately clear that they were aware of some of the latest versions of firmware or SPAR updates listed in the spreadsheet.  Being able to refer them to this spreadsheet helped expedite getting the latest firmware updates.

After getting the latest firmware updates applied to the Xerox WorkCentre units, I typically had to nuke the settings related to Workflow Scanning (file repositories, default templates etc) and start from scratch.  In some cases, I had to try defining port 139 in the SMB settings and if it failed, try port 445.  I can't explain why 139 worked on some units and 445 worked on others, (one would think it would be 445 after the firmware updates) but this was indeed the case.

At the time of this writing, we had WorkFlow Scanning to Server 2012 R2 working on the following models:

Model | Firmware Revision | SMB port number used
    WorkCentre 5150 | 021.120.065.00260 | 445
    WorkCentre 5775 | 061.132.225.18300 | 139
    WorkCentre 6400XF | 061.070.105.09600 | 445
    WorkCentre 7346 | 1.227.4 | 139 (don't think an upgrade was needed for this unit)

Have not yet found a solution for the 5050.

• Edited by Tim_CMU Monday, August 17, 2015 7:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Tim_CMU Monday, August 17, 2015 7:17 PM
    Monday, August 17, 2015 7:16 PM

All replies

• I spent the last week working through this issue on various Xerox WorkCentre models with the help of our Xerox distributor/service company, so I thought I'd post the solution(s) here to maybe save someone else some time and headaches.

SOLUTION:

In general, the Xerox WorkCentre models all seemed to be failing due to an incompatibility between their existing firmware versions and SMB3 on Windows Server 2012/R2.  The solution was somewhat obvious, (update the firmware on the WorkCentre units) but difficult to come by due to Xerox keeping several of the firmware updates unavailable for download to the general public.

The key break in determining if updated firmware was even available came when I stumbled upon a "Software Release Quick Lookup Table" spreadsheet on Xerox's website.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCkQFjAAahUKEwiFj4Tz5LDHAhWTQZIKHdVYAiY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.xerox.com%2Fdownloads%2Fusa%2Fen%2Fc%2Fcert_Software_Release_Quick_Lookup_Table.xls&ei=eS3SVcXuFZODyQTVsYmwAg&usg=AFQjCNHNnq4KmETyLNCrIqU4rYdwB_VhUg&bvm=bv.99804247,d.aWw

Under the "Software Levels" tab of the spreadsheet, you can lookup your model, and then any available firmware or SPAR updates for your unit should be listed.  In my case, the firmware updates that were needed to correct this issue had a note in the "How to obtain?" field with something like, "Customer downloadable; Must contact the Xerox Support Center and request this release."  

In working with our Xerox reseller/support reps, it wasn't always immediately clear that they were aware of some of the latest versions of firmware or SPAR updates listed in the spreadsheet.  Being able to refer them to this spreadsheet helped expedite getting the latest firmware updates.

After getting the latest firmware updates applied to the Xerox WorkCentre units, I typically had to nuke the settings related to Workflow Scanning (file repositories, default templates etc) and start from scratch.  In some cases, I had to try defining port 139 in the SMB settings and if it failed, try port 445.  I can't explain why 139 worked on some units and 445 worked on others, (one would think it would be 445 after the firmware updates) but this was indeed the case.

At the time of this writing, we had WorkFlow Scanning to Server 2012 R2 working on the following models:

Model | Firmware Revision | SMB port number used
    WorkCentre 5150 | 021.120.065.00260 | 445
    WorkCentre 5775 | 061.132.225.18300 | 139
    WorkCentre 6400XF | 061.070.105.09600 | 445
    WorkCentre 7346 | 1.227.4 | 139 (don't think an upgrade was needed for this unit)

Have not yet found a solution for the 5050.

• Edited by Tim_CMU Monday, August 17, 2015 7:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Tim_CMU Monday, August 17, 2015 7:17 PM
    Monday, August 17, 2015 7:16 PM
  • I double checked the defined inboud rule that the Windows 2012 added to Windows Firewall after the server activated file sharing.

here's how to get there: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff633412(v=ws.10).aspx

The port value for file and Printer Sharing (SMB -in) is 445 instead of the default 139 that xerox set when choosing SMB in the file repository setup.

I updated the Xerox’ File repository  Setup’s file destination going to the windows 2012’s IP and replace the port 139 with 445. Without restarting the Xerox server and file server, I’m able to scan to the Windows 2012 destination.

Thursday, July 28, 2016 7:58 PM
  • Thanks a lot!!! Very usefull!!!
    Tuesday, January 22, 2019 6:01 AM