Word 2010 freezes when opening a file from a share drive RRS feed

• Question

• Issue: 

In our office, one user who is opening up a document from a share folder will experience Microsoft word freezing. 

• It doesn't display a not responding message
    • It doesn't lock up and close out automatically
    • It doesn't show any behavior typical of an issue, however doesn't allow any user input.
    • Can not type, select anything on menu bar, can not minimize, or close out without using task manager.
    • You can move the mouse around, however it appears to be frozen. 
    • Everything else works, and nothing shows up in event viewer. 
    • Issue is intermittent

I have been able to duplicate it with different documents, multiple times, and the only variable I can determine is that the files open in Compatibility mode. 

For troubleshooting currently I've:

• Repaired Office
    • Deleted the Word Data Registry Key
    • Deleted the Word Options Registry Key
    • Deleted the Normal.dot file 
    • Restarted the Computer
    • Disabled Add-ons

Not sure what I am overlooking and appreciate any help and support. 

Some additional information: 

Office 2010 32-bit

Windows 7 32-bit

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 7:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

How long does Word 2010 “freeze”? I guess it may cost too much time when you open Word 2010 in a shared folder, so that you think it “freeze”. Please wait for a few more minutes to check if Word 2010 can respond. Maybe it just delay of response.

A similar case is here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ba5114e0-98dd-4b44-a078-373df8899048/word-2007-issue-slow-opening-files?forum=word

http://withinwindows.com/2008/08/31/taming-microsoft-word-2007s-file-associations-and-document-windows-part-one/

Then you can download this file to local disk and open it again. Able to launch Word 2010 quickly, there may exist anything wrong in communication with this shared folder. You may change path of shared folder. If it doesn’t work, we can try to disable SMBv2.

How to disable SMB 2.0 temporarily:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2696547

If Word crash still appears on local disk, we can analyze crash file. To further help you, please upload this file into Onedrive and shared the link here. Also, you can try to analyze dump by yourself if you would like to:

How to analyze app crash dump file:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2007/05/29/basic-debugging-of-an-application-crash.aspx

Feel free to post back.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 2:37 AM
  • I guess "freezing" wasn't the proper term to use. It's more akin to "not responding" without actually displaying that message. 

I used the term freezing because word is open and displays, however Word is not an active program and doesn't allow any input. You are able to move the mouse, however nothing on the menu or program is active and responsive at all. You can not type in word or use keyboard shortcuts in word at all. 

Leaving the document open for a while doesn't change the behavior or allow Word to display not responding and ending it's task. 

The only way to get around this is to use task manager to end the process manually. 

I will try to look at the app crash dump file, however, in event viewer there was no critical events or anything displayed, which I'm assuming is because it's not actually crashing or resulting in any errors, as it's just not responding at all and working. 

Thank you for your suggestions and I will reply back! 

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 5:45 PM
  • No crash files created as the program is not actually crashing or throwing errors or anything. 

I might upgrade to 2013 to see if that helps. 

Friday, May 30, 2014 3:53 PM
  • hi,

it may crash on operating system.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 1:05 AM
  • Upgrading a faulty installation is liable to do no more than transfer the fault to the new installation.

If the issue concerns only one user, the problem may have nothing to do with Word but with the user's network profile. This is especially so if the problem persists for that user when using a different PC from which others have no difficulty, and vice-versa.

Alternatively, if it affects only on PC, regardless of who is using it, there may be a problem with the hardware or with the software image. Re-imaging the PC will resolve any problems with the latter.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Monday, June 23, 2014 4:26 AM