none
Computer Browser service will not stay on RRS feed

• Question

• Platform: XP SP3, fixed IP address, running under Virtual Server 2005 R2.

This system is not accessible via its name, only IP address.  When I check services, the Computer Browser service is stopped - if I start it, it does so and then immediately stops again.  No reason given in the event log, just a window saying that some services stop if they have nothing to do, which makes no sense in this context.  Is this a known problem, and if so how do I fix it?

File & Print sharing is enabled.  Server and Workstation services are running.

Thanks,

dpm

Friday, March 4, 2011 4:54 PM

Answers

• Bill,

I found the problem: File & Print sharing was not enabled in the firewall.  Don't ask me why.  Enabling it fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help.

dpm

• Marked as answer by dpm1 Sunday, March 6, 2011 4:00 PM
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 4:00 PM

All replies

•   The computer browser service is only required if the machine needs to be a master browser. Otherwise you can disable it and browsing still works. In any case, what you describe is a name resolution problem, which does not require the computer browser service. It only requires LAN broadcasts and Netbios over TCP/IP. You only need the browser service  on the master browser to build a browse list (ie the list of computers you see in Network Neighborhood).

Is the NIC in the vm bridged to the physical NIC in the host? Is it in the same IP subnet as the physical machines? Can it ping them by name and/or IP address?

Bill
    Friday, March 4, 2011 11:58 PM
  • Bill,

" Is the NIC in the vm bridged to the physical NIC in the host?"

Yes.

"Is it in the same IP subnet as the physical machines?"

Yes.

"Can it ping them by name and/or IP address?"

I can ping the VM by IP address only.  I can ping the physical machines either way.

Let me add that when I had this VM get an address from DHCP sometimes I could access by name, other times not.  Now that I gave it a fixed address I can't access by name at all.

I checked, and NetBIOS over TCP was on "auto".  I enabled it unconditionally, waited about 20 minutes and tried pinging by name, but to no avail.  Is a reboot necessary?  How long/often are the LAN broadcast packets sent?

Thanks for your help.

dpm

Sunday, March 6, 2011 3:19 PM
  • Bill,

I found the problem: File & Print sharing was not enabled in the firewall.  Don't ask me why.  Enabling it fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help.

dpm

• Marked as answer by dpm1 Sunday, March 6, 2011 4:00 PM
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 4:00 PM