WSUS : How to disable Automatic Updates initiated service shutdown RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Despite all my IT servers are managed by the No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations Windows Update administrative Template option, a Windows Server 2008 R2 is subject to Automatic Update initiated service shutdown.

• How to disable that type of shutdown, please ?
    • I plan to test the Specify deadline before auto-restart for update installation option to let the time to my sheduled local restart task to complete, has anybody allready tested it ?

Best regards,

PCJ_TECH

• Edited by PCJ_TECH Monday, February 5, 2018 1:41 PM
    Monday, February 5, 2018 12:36 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Do you mean only one server auto restart with user logged on? If that is the case, I suppose this is group policy setting related.

I suggest you check whether No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations policy is applied to that server?

Regards,

Yan 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 2:21 AM
  • Hi Yan,

I have check the GPO taking account in the registry and it appear to be OK :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]

"DetectionFrequencyEnabled"=dword:00000001

"DetectionFrequency"=dword:00000016

"NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000001

"UseWUServer"=dword:00000001

"NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000

"AUOptions"=dword:00000004

"ScheduledInstallDay"=dword:00000007

"ScheduledInstallTime"=dword:00000005

Furthermore, that case seems to be isolate on 3 physical HP servers settted up with Windows Server 2008 R2 and a certain number of update published on December 2017 and January 2018.

We have noticed that these updates have caused the following instabilities :

• by pass of the No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations GPO option,
    • unscheduled Automatic Update agent reboot prompted by,
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 system freeze after reboot.

None of Dell servers or other virtualized servers setted up with other Windows Server type have been impacted.

If you manage HP servers, please share your thought.

Best regards,

PCJ_TECH

• Edited by PCJ_TECH Thursday, February 8, 2018 2:16 PM
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 8:11 AM