none
Copying a database RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've got a computer with XP, and Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Management Studio, and there, there are a database. Client told me to migrate to another computer with Windows 7, and more RAM. My question is, what version of SQL Server must I install in that computer, to migrate the database. 

Thank you.

Jordi Maicas

• Edited by Jordixip2 Wednesday, May 4, 2016 4:59 PM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2016 4:59 PM

All replies

• It depends. What features are you using? Is it in production or for development only?

So your most likely options are the latest version of SQL Express (free version) or SQL Server Professional for development.

If the instance is in production, don't do it. Get a proper windows server (not a desktop version like Windows 7 or 10) and install the version that meets your operational and functional needs.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Thursday, May 5, 2016 9:25 PM
  • Thank you.

I download mssql 2014 express edition, and I could import the database from the ssms 2005; after that I download also ssms 2014, and I can connect to the db.

The issue now, is that If I connect that computer with win7 to a vpn, and I tried from another one, connected to the same vpn, configure the odbc connection, it refuse the server. I power down the firewall... but at the moment I can't accede to the db outside that computer.

Jordi Maicas

Thursday, May 5, 2016 10:59 PM
  • Download the Management Studio that comes with SQL Express 2014. You will need to import the 2005 database to 2014 format using the tools. It should then run.

If this doesn't work then you are better posting to a SQL Server developer forum as this forum is for Microsoft Project Server, an enterprise project scheduling and reporting tool.

Rod Gill

Friday, May 6, 2016 2:49 AM
  • This is the issue in this moment.

I can import the database, from the other computer, with sql express Ed. Also, I can accede from SSMS 2014. The issue, is that from control panel, odbc, when I add the connection it throws an error: no connection could be established with the server... (local server).

I add that Firewall is off.

Another question is my sa user, is with a flag red... and I added a new user for SQL authentication, but sql server doesn't allow to create that odbc connection

I'm learning a lot with these issues.

Thank you.

Jordi Maicas

Friday, May 6, 2016 10:08 PM
  • So this is looking more and more like a SQL Server issue, not a Project Server issue. You are probably better off reposting in a SQL Server forum.

Good luck

Rod Gill

Monday, May 9, 2016 12:58 AM