none
Disable WDS broadcast RRS feed

• Question

• In our environment Linux PXE is being used to deploy Linux as well as Windows Servers. I have recently evaluated & demonstrated the power of WDS & MDT to my superiors. They have asked me to go ahead & implement in the production network but it should not break the existing deployment method.

The WDS is only being used for Network Boot (PXE). I have configured the options 66 & 67 appropriately for Windows Servers in DHCP. For Linux clients the default options for 66 & 67 point to Linux PXE & pxelinux.0

But when a linux client needs to be deployed it always boots from WDS (I believe WDS broadcasts itself) & downloads WDSNBP

Is there a way to disable the WDS broadcast itself.

Sid.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 6:22 PM

Answers

• Your question is confusing, and you appear to be using WDS and PXE as seperate things. Additionally, I am unaware of how to change the 66 and 67 options in a DHCP server to point to different WDS Servers per machine. On Windows Server, WDS is the program that services all PXE network requests, so you would not "disable the WDS broadcast", since there is no WDS protocol, it's the PXE protocol.

Typically, there is only *ONE* PXE server on a network segment at a time. If there are more than one, then the first one to respond wins, it's as if there are two DHCP servers on the same network.
    If you want both systems to co-exist, i would recommend adding the MDT LitetouchPE_xx.wim boot file to your Linux server. Sorry, I have never done this, so you are on your own.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 5:55 PM

All replies

• You might want to try posting this question on this forum.  It's more of a WDS question than an MDT question.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winservergen

/Brian Gonzalez

-BrianG (http://supportishere.com)

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 10:19 PM
  • Your question is confusing, and you appear to be using WDS and PXE as seperate things. Additionally, I am unaware of how to change the 66 and 67 options in a DHCP server to point to different WDS Servers per machine. On Windows Server, WDS is the program that services all PXE network requests, so you would not "disable the WDS broadcast", since there is no WDS protocol, it's the PXE protocol.

Typically, there is only *ONE* PXE server on a network segment at a time. If there are more than one, then the first one to respond wins, it's as if there are two DHCP servers on the same network.
    If you want both systems to co-exist, i would recommend adding the MDT LitetouchPE_xx.wim boot file to your Linux server. Sorry, I have never done this, so you are on your own.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 5:55 PM
  • Thanks Keith for your reply.

Ok let me rephrase my scenario.

We have Linux PXE server for OS Deployment. Linux deployment works fine. We also deploy Windows Server OS using Linux PXE. But going forward we want to use WDS for Windows Network boot (Only network boot & not Install OS using WDS, installing OS will be taken care by MDT). The Linux deployment will continue using Linux PXE.

On the DHCP server the default options for scope point to Linux PXE Server (Option 66) & Boot file name (Option 67). When a reservation is created in DHCP for Windows Deployment we manually change the Option 66 & Option 67 to point to WDS Server & bootfile name as boot/x86/wdsnbp.com for the particular reservation.

Now coming to the broadcast part. Say we only have Linux PXE & we have not created any reservation yet, when the client boots & press F12 to boot from network it will not boot (as there is no DHCP reservation & since no IP is obtained it does not get the options as well). So I assume Linux PXE does not broadcast.

When I start WDS service, boot the client & press F12 it gets IP (even though no DHCP reservation is created) & it shows "Downloaded WDSNBP" & if I again press F12 it starts to load the boot.wim. Hence I assume that the WDS broadcasts itself & also bypasses Linux PXE.

Is there no way that WDS broadcast be disabled / behaviour of WDS can be made similar to Linux PXE (no broadcast)

I do not want to use Linux PXE for Windows deployments hence adding the MDT litetouchpe_xx.wim in Linux pXE is out of scope.

Is it true that WDS & Linux PXE cannot co-exist on the same network (or subnet)

Sid.

Thursday, November 27, 2014 3:31 PM
  • You kind of ignore/discredit some of my proposals without any justification/foundation on your part.

I do not want to use Linux PXE for Windows deployments hence adding the MDT litetouchpe_xx.wim in Linux pXE is out of scope.

Why, specifically, can't you use Linux?

Additionally:

Is there no way that WDS broadcast be disabled / behaviour of WDS can be made similar to Linux PXE (no broadcast)

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding on your part of the way PXE works. PXE is a service that responds to broadcast requests from any client, you can get granular with the responses when combined with Active directory (respond to known clients). You suggest above that by controlling the DHCP server requests you can control PXE, that's not how it works, they are independent services, the DHCP scope options (67 and 66) are only required when PXE and DHCP *co-exist* on the same server. Since WDS/PXE is not on the same server as your Linux DHCP box, mucking with the scope options makes no sense.

Having two different PXE servers (not for redundancy) on the same segment is just silly, hence my suggestion to just use the Linux server for the Windows boot images.

You might have better luck asking on the Server Setup alias: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserversetup  This is *NOT* the best group for Linux questions.

Thursday, November 27, 2014 5:48 PM
  • Keith,

Why I cant i use Linux PXE? Well I do not want any dependency on UNIX team. If I make any change to the boot.wim file I need to upload the latest boot.wim to Linux PXE+TFTP. For which I need to depend on the UNIX team.

I beg to differ on the statement that DHCP options 66 & 67 are only required when PXE and DHCP co-exist on the same server. What if the client is on another subnet - how will it know the boot server hostname & the boot file name?

Anyways I found the solution to my problem & have configured WDS to exist with Linux PXE. The client redirection to Linux PXE or WDS works flawless now.

On WDS Server Properties - PXE Response I selected "Do not respond to any client computers".

I can now control client network to boot either from Linux PXE or WDS thru DHCP scope options. When the client boots it gets the IP from DHCP & based on the scope options for the particular reservation it goes to respective PXE (Linux or WDS).

Hope the above helps anyone who has a similar situation.

Sid.

• Proposed as answer by ssvenn Wednesday, December 27, 2017 6:27 PM
    Friday, November 28, 2014 8:04 PM