none
Missing WindowsFeature NFSClient

Question

• I have installed Hyper-V 2016 bare metal on a server. Not too bad, missing a lot of things other hypervisors have already ironed out, but not a bad start.

I wanted to play with Hyper-V and NFS datastores, to my dismay it appears lots of blog posts say it's not support or even possible, with others showing it is technically possible in some fashion.

To my dismay running Get-WindowsFeature did not return a result for the feature "NFS-Client" is this a limitation of Nano,  or Core or Hyper-v in general? Would I have to install the more bloated Windows desktop expirence server edition and then add the Hyper-v role in order to use the NFS-Client windows feature?

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 8:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Sir,

Nano server doesn't contain all role/feature of "normal" version .

If you need to use NFS-Client , please use server with GUI/Core version .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Zewwy Friday, April 07, 2017 7:27 PM
    Thursday, April 06, 2017 10:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

Nano server doesn't contain all role/feature of "normal" version .

If you need to use NFS-Client , please use server with GUI/Core version .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Zewwy Friday, April 07, 2017 7:27 PM
    Thursday, April 06, 2017 10:37 AM
  • Indeed yet another thing MS needs to take as feedback, NFS is very popular and should be a supported datastore type for Hyper-V servers, including nano.
    Friday, April 07, 2017 7:28 PM