none
Please remove all worksheet and workbook protections from the workbook, save the workbook and then try refreshing the connection again RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone seen this error message before?

It happens when I have two copies of the workbook open and I'm trying to refresh the data connections.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

We couldn't refresh the connection 'Query - Package Lines'. Here's the error message we got:

The connection could not be refreshed. The workbook containing this connection has been copied from another open workbook that contains Power Query data.

Please remove all worksheet and workbook protections from the workbook, save the workbook and then try refreshing the connection again.

Alternatively, you may close the following workbooks:

I don't have worksheet or workbook protections on:

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 9:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Tim,

This is a known limitation with the Power Query add-in. If re-saving one of the workbooks does not fix the issue for you, you will need to close one of the workbooks before refreshing.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks,

David

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 6:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Tim,

This is a known limitation with the Power Query add-in. If re-saving one of the workbooks does not fix the issue for you, you will need to close one of the workbooks before refreshing.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks,

David

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 6:52 PM
  • Thanks for the reply David. Re-saving didn't fix the issue, but at least I know now that it's a known issue.

No problem. I'll just let everyone know that they can't have more than one open at the same time.

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 7:21 PM
  • Hi,

Has this limitation been addressed now that it's been a couple years? I'm still getting the same error. 

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 5:45 PM
  • Hi Melvin,

What version of Excel are you using?

Thanks,

David

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 7:20 PM