Offline Files: Win 7 client - Encrypt files only went halfway, now neither? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.  I was just doing some testing with this Offline Files feature.  This is my first time testing some of the additional management options for it.  Client is Win 7 Pro (64bit), server is 2008 R2 and AD is a basic single-server type design (a few VMs) at 2008 R2 functional level. 

The process seemed simple - a brand new compuer, by default all redirected folders enable Offline Files.  I also picked one network share (the user's home folder on the server, not much space usage). 

The issue, and this post, is about the Encryption tab (under Sync Cener > Manage Offline Files).  I can't recall offhand if I had finished the First-time sync or not, but at some point I clicked the Encrypt Files button.  This seemed to progress for a while, until it popped up a message saying a particular file was already in use by another user.  At this point, it dropped out of the encrypting files progress screen. 

Now I had the button changed from Encrypt Files to Encrypt Remaining Files.  I took this to mean it would simply resume where it left off once clicked.  Instead, I click it and nothing happens, no progress screen.  I rebooted, camne back into Sync Center, and it showed a status of Ready for first-time sync.  Unsure of why since it had previously said "last sync on date/time", I still went to the Encryption tab. 

Long story short, when I first entered this Encryption tab, only hte Encrypt button was available, the Unencrypt button was greyed out.  Now when I go in, each tmie, after some reboots, it's always both but they alternate, one saying encrypt or unencrypt remaining files.  S it's like it i scaught halfway between fully encrypted or not encrypted at all. 

I rebooted, looked at Disk Usage, and it says 0MB.  So I did one more "first time sync" and let that go to completion before anything else.  Now it says 1.31GB which is perhaps about right.  Now, I see Encrypt Files, and Unencrypt Remaining Files.  I click the latter button, I see a progress screen for a little bit, then that disappers and I still see both buttons in the same state. 

With this being my first time with this Offline Files stuff I am thinking this is very non-robust.  There should be a way to just start over, a "clear all" type of button.  Can anybody advise on how I should proceed? 

Thank you. 

• Edited by viProCon Monday, March 10, 2014 2:16 AM
    Monday, March 10, 2014 2:12 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The encryption function of Offline Files is to encrypt database of these offline files. Please see:

How to Encrypt Offline Files

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb456987.aspx

For your current situation, please try to reset Offline Files database with the following key:

How to re-initialize the offline files cache and database in Windows XP

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/230738

The article is for Windows XP but the key will still work on Windows 7. 

If you have any feedback on our support, please send to tnfsl@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by viProCon Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:50 PM
    Tuesday, March 11, 2014 10:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The encryption function of Offline Files is to encrypt database of these offline files. Please see:

How to Encrypt Offline Files

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb456987.aspx

For your current situation, please try to reset Offline Files database with the following key:

How to re-initialize the offline files cache and database in Windows XP

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/230738

The article is for Windows XP but the key will still work on Windows 7. 

• Marked as answer by viProCon Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:50 PM
    Tuesday, March 11, 2014 10:12 AM
  • Unfortunately that didn't work.  I followed the 2nd article, creating the FormatDatabase = 1 DWORD value in the indicated location (I used the regedit method because there is no Offline Files tab in Folder Options in Win7).  I rebooted the laptop but nothing changed.  Also the registry value didn't auto-remove itself as the article suggested it would  I believe this user may also be logged into another PC on the network, but as this is an HKLM key that I put in, I imagine that wouldn't matter. 

Can I go directly to the Windows\CSC folder and cause havoc there?  Or is there something else perhaps?  Sync Center itself didn't have much - no method to clear the database.  I wonder if I just Disabled Offline Files, but I bet that just disables the feature but leaves the data intact. 

What do you think? Any other ideas too?  Thank you. 

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 12:19 PM
  • Hi,

If it will not work then you could have a try to reset your Offline Files.

You can also test to disable Offline files and reboot - re-enable it to see the result.

Sunday, March 16, 2014 7:29 AM
  • Well it seemed to have worked after all, but it took until the following day to show.  That is, I followed the steps to make that registry key, rebooted and so forth, didn't see any changes, rebooted more, no changes still.  The following day I went to look at it and it had cleared itself up.  It seems the Offline Files feature just needs some general improvement but that's eomthing I can't control.  Perhaps on the next test system I run into this won't be a problem. 

By the way I later learned that the reason this "file in use" error occurred during encryption (thus caused the encryption to mess up and not work anymore) was simply because it was in use by that user on another computer logged in.  This same thing causes sync errors when sync'ing, if the user is on another machine using that file.  So again this sounds like MS just needs to beef up the management functionality of this feature I guess. 

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:49 PM
  • Thanks.  Next time I will try just disabling it and re-enabling it with reboots in between.  Any time you have to do a registry hack to make something work means MS hasn't yet put in real UI code to handle the issue, which to me means either it's not common enough to do so, it's on the roadmap to do so, or somebody just needs to get to work on it ;)
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:50 PM