Logitech V20 USB Speakers NO SOUND Vista x32 RRS feed

• Question

• I can't get sound to work on these Logitech V20 USB Speakers on my Dell Inspiron 1501 running Vista x32.  I installed all the dell and windows updates.  Windows installed the speakers fine and I chose "Logitech USB Speakers" as default, but no sound comes ou when i play music or run the test.  Mute is not on, the volume is on and I was actually able to get the speakers to work once for a little bit, but thats it.  I looked everywhere for a solution but no one has an answer.  Logitech support was no help as well.  I tried all the help in the "USB Drive Problems with Vista" thread and didn't work.  Please Help!!  Do I need a hotfix??
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 7:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

According to your description, we know this problem is not a hardware issue.

I did a research on Logitech website, found lots of people encountered same V20 issue like you. (Works fine in Windows XP but failed in Windows Vista)

Logitech V20 Speakers - No Sound

http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/board/message?board.id=general_speakers&thread.id=1271&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

So, I double checked the Dell Inspiron 1501, found Dell has a audio management on Windows Vista for this computer.

You can view it by following link:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WLH&osl=EN&catid=-1&impid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=INS_PNT_1501&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en&TabIndex=

This program can affect sound settings on Windows Vista’s side. Please understand that the Dell audio management program is not Microsoft product, we do not have detail information about this program. Given the situation, I suggest you contact Dell support to ask for recommended sound settings on USB speakers in Windows Vista. Thank you for your understanding.

For your convenience:

Dell Inspiron 1501Technical Support

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/product_support/product_support_central?~ck=ln&c=us&l=en&lnki=0&s=gen

Hope it helps.

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Before moving on, please confirm following points.

1.       Can you use the USB Speakers on another working computers?

2.       Do you have another USB Speakers, does it work on this computer?

3.       Do you have other USB devices? Do you encounter issues when trying to use them?

4.       Do you verify all sounds settings under Logitech Support?

At this time, I suggest you take a clean boot to narrow down this issue.

Take a clean boot.

=============================

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please monitor the system in the Clean Boot environment. If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

Hope it helps.

Monday, August 11, 2008 9:16 AM
  • I do not own any other USB speakers to test out on my computer.  I tried these speakers on another computer running XP and they work.  I verified all the sound settings and my other USB devices work fine (flash drive, external HD, ipod). 

I tried the clean boot but my speakers still didnt work.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Any other ideas? Maybe I need a hotfix?
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 9:42 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

According to your description, we know this problem is not a hardware issue.

I did a research on Logitech website, found lots of people encountered same V20 issue like you. (Works fine in Windows XP but failed in Windows Vista)

Logitech V20 Speakers - No Sound

http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/board/message?board.id=general_speakers&thread.id=1271&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

So, I double checked the Dell Inspiron 1501, found Dell has a audio management on Windows Vista for this computer.

You can view it by following link:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WLH&osl=EN&catid=-1&impid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=INS_PNT_1501&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en&TabIndex=

This program can affect sound settings on Windows Vista’s side. Please understand that the Dell audio management program is not Microsoft product, we do not have detail information about this program. Given the situation, I suggest you contact Dell support to ask for recommended sound settings on USB speakers in Windows Vista. Thank you for your understanding.

For your convenience:

Dell Inspiron 1501Technical Support

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/product_support/product_support_central?~ck=ln&c=us&l=en&lnki=0&s=gen

Hope it helps.

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:18 AM
  •  

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Friday, August 15, 2008 9:16 AM
  • hey

i bought those speakers today.. they worked for 2 min and then nothing. i have vista and the laptop sony vaoi VGN-FZ38M

.. im installing the vista service pack 1 right now.. hope that changes something..!!! still need answers..Wink

thx

Monday, September 1, 2008 12:02 PM
  • Im getting the same problem on my Hp Pavilion dv6557, but with Bose USB speakers. Ive called Bose, they had me test the speakers and they work fine on XP, I called HP and they made me Clean boot, and test. They worked for about 2 hours after the Clean boot than stoped. They usually work for about 1 to 2 hours than die. According to another artical i found this is an Operating System issue and they released a Quick fix for x64 and x86 but not x32... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943599/en-us I dont understand why there not releasing a fix for x32 because this is really annoying. When you pay 300$ for an operating system it should work or they should fix it. FREE OF CHARGE! Whats with this 80$ an hour on the phone...

Saturday, September 6, 2008 4:47 AM
  • I bought my set of Logitech V20 speakers when I bought this laptop in 2006 - HP Pavilion dv8000 - and they worked like a treat for a while. Then all of a sudden, when I plugged them in, XP asked for drivers, which was odd because to start with, they are built in. Anyway, when I tried to go ahead and attempt to install automatically, XP rejected them with the unable to install drivers dialog.

And this has been the case since then.

Logitech has even sent a new set of speakers only to find that they also don't work.

I will try the clean boot option to see if it works.

But nevertheless, I also have the same problem on my desktop which hasn't used them at all.

Muscipula
    Friday, January 2, 2009 4:16 PM