WSQL Query Not Working After Installing Client RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to SCCM!

I have a device container "Company Workstations" that uses the below WQL query to pick up all "Workstations". It works fine until I install the system center client on any PCs in this container after which they are removed from the container the original container and appear in the SCCM created container "All Desktop and Server Clients"

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client 
    from SMS_R_System 
    where 
    SMS_R_System.OperatingSystemNameandVersion like "%Workstation%"

This is a problem as the "Company Workstations" container is a limiting container on several other containers I have created.

Why would the WSQL no longer return any PC with the client installed?

Is there any tools that allow me to run a WSQL queries against the system center site database so I can determine if the value for the SMS_r_System.OperatingSystemNameandVersion property has changed?

Hibs Ya Bass!

Thursday, September 5, 2013 4:50 AM

Answers

• I came into work on Tuesday (I was off on Monday) and the computer object was there in "Company Workstations". Must have been a timing issue I guess?

Before posting this question I had manually updated membership to both the limiting collections in the hierarchy several times and waited a good 2 hours but the objects never appeared. They are there now :-)

Hibs Ya Bass!

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:40 AM

All replies

• I have since found out how to query the site database and I can see that the two PCs I have installed the client on (top two) still have the "workstation" in the value SMS_R_System.OperatingSystemNameandVersion?

So why are these two PCs not appearing in my "Company Workstations" container?

• Edited by broonster27 Thursday, September 5, 2013 5:40 AM
    Thursday, September 5, 2013 5:15 AM
  • Hi,

What Collection have you limited the "Company Workstations" Collection to? Could that be the issue?

regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Thursday, September 5, 2013 5:32 AM
  • "Company Workstations" is limited by the default All Systems and the PCs show up there.

Hibs Ya Bass!

Thursday, September 5, 2013 8:25 PM
  • I don't see anything strange in that WQL, which will remove membership once client is installed. Do you have more than one collection membership rule on the "Company Workstations"collection like ( Include, Exclude or another Query rule) ?

Regards, Manohar Pusala

Thursday, September 5, 2013 9:34 PM
  • No, just that one.

Hibs Ya Bass!

Thursday, September 5, 2013 11:01 PM
  • Broonster,

Right click on the "Workstations" collection and select "Update Membership".  It is likely that as the devices transitioned from the Discovered record to a full Client record, the collection needed to be updated.  For the "Workstations" collection, you may want to consider enabling incremental updates, at least during initial client deployment.  At a minimum, you'll want a scheduled update every few hours on this collection.

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

• Edited by NPherson Friday, September 6, 2013 4:13 AM typo
    Friday, September 6, 2013 4:12 AM
  • I came into work on Tuesday (I was off on Monday) and the computer object was there in "Company Workstations". Must have been a timing issue I guess?

Before posting this question I had manually updated membership to both the limiting collections in the hierarchy several times and waited a good 2 hours but the objects never appeared. They are there now :-)

Hibs Ya Bass!

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:40 AM