none
SBS 2003 and SBS 2008 (Essentials) server RRS feed

• Question

• One thing is not clear to me,

Does it support SBS 2003 without installing the SC Essential Manager ?

Does the remote operation manager support both SBS 2008 verions ? SBS 2008 and SBS 2008 Essentials.

This also counts for the small SBS 2008, does it work without having the seperate available System Center Essentials Manager installed ?

What i can read about it it is only supporting the Essentials of SBS 2008 (because it has SC Essentials Manager included) version which is more an 75-250 user version where in my opinion the most lack of techical expertise is in the lower area 5 - 75.

Is there a kind of agent on the smaller SBS 2003/2008 which can talk to the Remote Operations Manager 2007?

Can somebody inform me about this,

Regards,

Friday, July 4, 2008 10:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If this is the case, you can set up a gateway server at each customer site and use another product-SCOM at provider site. The agents will connect to SCOM server via gateway server. In my previous document link, it provides this deployment for SCOM scenario. For more information, you also can refer to SCOM newsgroup:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/opsmgr/bb839593.aspx

HTH.
    Friday, July 11, 2008 2:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

SCE 2007 is not fully supported to install on SBS 2003. You can choose to install SCE 2007 on a seperate server. Please refer to following:

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServer2003/sbs/techinfo/planning/chartserver.mspx 

You can install SCE agent on SBS 2003/2008 in ROM deployment.

For your reference:

http://blog.sbsfaq.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=117

HTH.

Monday, July 7, 2008 3:40 AM
  • HI Thanks for your reply, but i do not think i was completly clear what i meant.

If i would use Remote Operations Manager, as a Microsoft Partner, does the customer has to have SC Essentials so i could support him with Remote Operations Manager ?

Or are there f.i. agents for Windows 2003, windows 2008, SBS 2003, SBS 2008 which can direct connect to Remote Operations Manager or do i always need Essentials at the customer site to connect to this Remote Operations Manager ?

Best Regards,

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 7:30 AM
  • Hi,

In ROM deployment, SCE server need to install at customer site and SCOM install at provider site. The Windows Server 2003/2008/SBS at customer site need to manage by SCE server. And SCE server connect to ROM at provider site.

More information:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4b621eb7-01bb-45f5-9a77-52853f06eec9&DisplayLang=en

HTH.
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 9:46 AM
  • HI,

Thats clear to me,

But does this mean there is no remote support solution for the standalone servers 2003/2008 and/or the standard sbs 2003/2008 versions ?

Those (customers) are the ones that need it the most,

Thanks,

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 4:56 PM
  • Hi,

In this case, I assume the standalone Server 2003/2008 and ROM are in the untrust domain and you just want to manage standalone server in customer site. You can install SCOM on a remote site, then those remote standalone server can be configured to communicate directly to SCOM via certificates. But this is not the ROM deployment scenario. Check out following document:

http://www.systemcenterforum.org/update-ops-mgr-2007-gateway-server-and-pki-scenarios-guide/

HTH.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 2:34 AM
  • Hi,

Perhaps i have problems to express my self but,

We support customers which only have win 2003/2008 servers or sbs2003/2008 (no essential version). Most of them are small companies 5-70 users,

Can i use at our Supporting Office ROM to support these customers ? Or do they always have to have a certain version of essentials installed to be connected by us to our ROM ?

Appreciate your answer,

Regards

Thursday, July 10, 2008 6:32 PM
  • Hi,

If this is the case, you can set up a gateway server at each customer site and use another product-SCOM at provider site. The agents will connect to SCOM server via gateway server. In my previous document link, it provides this deployment for SCOM scenario. For more information, you also can refer to SCOM newsgroup:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/opsmgr/bb839593.aspx

HTH.
    Friday, July 11, 2008 2:12 AM
  • HI,

Thanks again,

But is this application not to much focussed on internal support instead on external customers ?

Regards,

Saturday, July 12, 2008 11:55 AM
  • Hi Marcel,

Could you please clarify your concern? Using gateway or SCE server at customer site, SCOM at provider site can monitor these clients well. Do you have any other requirement for internal support?

Sunday, July 13, 2008 8:27 AM
  •  

Marcel, just wondering did you come up with a solution to your post.

I want to do exactly what you are doing but getting confused on the options.  We too support customers with 5 to 70 users who have SBS servers and some with a couple of 2003 servers all on untrusted domains.

Thanks

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:29 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, it is possible to support a customer who only has a few servers without the need of a SCE Server or a Gateway Server. This is where you use Certificates to establish communication between your SCOM environment and an agent deployed to the customers computer.

There is a link to a guide on how to do this earlier in this thread.

Hope this answers your questions.

/Sebastian
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 9:48 AM