none
Stupid question about drivers management with MDT RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

(i'm not native english speaker)

I have a "stupid" question about drivers.

I'm deploying MDT in my enterprise and we have this situation about drivers :

- We have laptops and desktop computers

- several marks and several models

I managed to add in my MDT deployment share all the drivers i need for each model of computer in our environment.

After some researches i saw that, in my O.S deployment task sequence, i could use some kind of WMI request to check the mark/model of the deploying computer. And depending of the wmi result, i could inject the correct driver group.

(for example, if i deploy a toshiba tecra, the task sequence does the wmi request, sees that the computer is a toshiba tecra and so, injects the correct driver group containing toshiba tecra A50 drivers)

But, after some work, i saw that, in the task sequence, i can choose the Driver selection profile.

By default it is set to "All Drivers" and you have 2 buttons "Install only matching drivers from the selection profile" and "Install all drivers from the selection profile"

So i have the following question :

Don't you think it is much easier to do the following :

- Instead of using wmi request etc... and assuming the fact that i injected all drivers i need for all my different computers

- I keep this option by default, so i keep using the "All drivers" selection profile and the option "Install only matching drivers from the selection profile"

- That should mean that, whatever computer I deploy, mdt should be able to "install only matching drivers from the selection profile" so i don't have to worry anymore about drivers with complicated driver rules etc... => mdt will automatically install needed drivers

What do you think about that ?

Sorry if i am not clear english is not my mother tongue.

thanks.

regards.

Benjamin.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 1:56 PM

Answers

• Actually that's exactly why you should be using the guide I posted. Use total control method and it will only inject the drivers that match the model you are deploying to. That means no conflicts and less time spent injecting drivers.

Daniel Vega

• Marked as answer by BenjaminFili Thursday, January 24, 2019 9:36 AM
    Monday, April 9, 2018 3:05 PM
  • Hi thanks for answaring,

The problem with drivers is that a lot of them have the same names.

For example, if i inject drivers for 3 differents models of computers i will have a ton of differents drivers. And there will be different drivers with same names so it will cause conflicts or install useless drivers etc...

Doing like so will just take a big storage space in the deployment share, take long time for nothing and may even cause drivers conflicts.

sorry bad english

• Marked as answer by BenjaminFili Friday, April 6, 2018 2:39 PM
    Friday, April 6, 2018 2:39 PM

All replies

• Follow this guide for managing drivers in MDT

MDT 2013 Lite Touch Driver Management

Daniel Vega

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 9:36 PM
  • Hi thanks for answaring,

The problem with drivers is that a lot of them have the same names.

For example, if i inject drivers for 3 differents models of computers i will have a ton of differents drivers. And there will be different drivers with same names so it will cause conflicts or install useless drivers etc...

Doing like so will just take a big storage space in the deployment share, take long time for nothing and may even cause drivers conflicts.

sorry bad english

• Marked as answer by BenjaminFili Friday, April 6, 2018 2:39 PM
    Friday, April 6, 2018 2:39 PM
  • Actually that's exactly why you should be using the guide I posted. Use total control method and it will only inject the drivers that match the model you are deploying to. That means no conflicts and less time spent injecting drivers.

Daniel Vega

• Marked as answer by BenjaminFili Thursday, January 24, 2019 9:36 AM
    Monday, April 9, 2018 3:05 PM
  • Thanks for answer.

The "total control method" works perfectly

To anyone wondering how to manager drivers with MDT, i advise you to use this method.

Thursday, January 24, 2019 9:38 AM
  • Glad that helped you! In case you ever run across multiple model names that use the same driver set, you can use this Modelalias User Exit for Microsoft Deployment Toolkit

At this point I could live without it, but it helped me in years past.

Daniel Vega

Thursday, January 24, 2019 2:30 PM