Audio driver issue. "No speakers or headphones are plugged in." Windows High Def Audio Driver. Wont install AC 97 drivers??? RRS feed

• Question

• I am running a pentium based Compaq. I am still using the onboard AC 97 audio, however Windows 7 automatically installs the generic High Definition Driver. It says that the device is working properly, even when I plug in the speakers or headphones the audio icon in the tray says no speakers or headphones plugged in. I have tried uninstalling the driver, and trying to install vista's ac 97 codec. When install is complete it prompts for a restart. once restarted windows installs the generic high def driver. I have tried it as administrator, and in compatability mode. I just keep going in circles and still no sound. Any help?
    Friday, July 10, 2009 8:38 AM

Answers

• Headset doent work either. One thing I'm not too sure about is that I have an unknown device and windows cant find software for it. I don't even know what it is. I do know however that it is not the audio driver. It appears to be installed correctly and working. Bios says onboard audio enabled. Maybe I'm just screwed till Microsoft puts out more updates.

Hi

I suggest that you start from scratch with that system.

Start with the latest Motherboard chipset drivers and BIOS from the computer manufacturers website. Continue with the rest of the drivers/firmware for all of the installed hardware. Also check the specific hardware manufacturers websites.

All of the hardware drivers, software updates, and compatibility updates that Microsoft distributes through Windows Update come directly from the PC manufacturer or hardware/software manufacturers.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 6:48 PM

All replies

• It might be a bug in Windows 7, in the fact that it may be recognising that the drivers are installed, but it may still be rejecting the device.
    My second diagnosis would be that Windows 7 requires a lot of CPU usage and GPU usage, and that the PSU in your computer does not have a high enough power output to deal with the high CPU/GPU usages AND a seperate sound card, so it just "forgets" about the card being there, and focuses on the CPU and GPU.
    ŢĤŸ ŤĀĽĶ ŴĂŠ PŐŎŖ, ŢĦƔ ŜĶĺŁĿŞ ƊƚƉ ĿĄĆĶ. ŠĖĔ ƔƍŪ ĄŦ ŁŪMßŘĨĐĜĚ, ŴĤĒŃ ƔƍŬ ĢĔŤ ߥĆĶ
    • Proposed as answer by 0li Friday, July 10, 2009 9:57 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Saturday, July 11, 2009 8:56 PM
    Friday, July 10, 2009 9:57 AM
  • Do you know exactly which sound chip is in your system?  Knowing that would make it much easier to make an informed decision.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 12:11 PM
  • My motherboard manual says it is a  Built-in Azalia 8 channel audio with Realtek ALC888 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC , As far as it being a PSU problem I tend to think not, I just replaced my PSU with a 550W antec. But I don't know I am not sure what is going on with it. It appears that everything I do works, but still no sound??
    Friday, July 10, 2009 3:48 PM
  • My motherboard manual says it is a  Built-in Azalia 8 channel audio with Realtek ALC888 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC , As far as it being a PSU problem I tend to think not, I just replaced my PSU with a 550W antec. But I don't know I am not sure what is going on with it. It appears that everything I do works, but still no sound??

Then the AC 97 driver won't work.  You need the HD Codecs.  I have the same chip on my MB and the generic one from Microsoft works.  You can download the one from Realtek directly.  Go to http://www.realtek.com.tw/ and select the "HD Auidio Codec Driver" link http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false 

Select the Vista, Windows 7 Driver. 
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 1:43 PM
  • Yeah I downloaded the realtek high def driver( Vista/7 Ver) and installed it. Once again the device is working properly according to windows. But it still says I have no speakers plugged in. I'm very confused.
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 3:23 PM
  • Try a headset.  Does that work?  Take a close look at your system to see if anything doesn't look right - the BIOS or other configuration.

Are you sure you have the cable plugged into the correct spot?  I once had a problem with my sound and it turned I had the cable plugged into the wrong port.  also, look at the Realtek Sound Manager.  Maybe the default id "digital" instead of Speakers?

Look around and do some trouble shooting.
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Headset doent work either. One thing I'm not too sure about is that I have an unknown device and windows cant find software for it. I don't even know what it is. I do know however that it is not the audio driver. It appears to be installed correctly and working. Bios says onboard audio enabled. Maybe I'm just screwed till Microsoft puts out more updates.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 4:41 AM

Hi

I suggest that you start from scratch with that system.

Start with the latest Motherboard chipset drivers and BIOS from the computer manufacturers website. Continue with the rest of the drivers/firmware for all of the installed hardware. Also check the specific hardware manufacturers websites.

All of the hardware drivers, software updates, and compatibility updates that Microsoft distributes through Windows Update come directly from the PC manufacturer or hardware/software manufacturers.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 6:48 PM
  • Ok started from scratch, downloaded motherboard drivers, updated to the windows 7 realtek driver, and now I have no unknown devices. everything is working properly. the computer itself is even running better, but it still says no speakers or headphones plugged in. Thus I am still without sound. I do not get it. I assume that most other peoples sound is working properly even with the same onboard audio as me. What am I not seeing, or what is different with my setup?
    Friday, July 24, 2009 8:53 AM
  • Hi all!

This topic is rather old but still... I'm expiriencing the same problem with my audio. So dear Mr. Ronnie Vernon, can you help me with this issue?
    My system is: EX38-DS4 with onboard Realtek 889A, E7200, 4G RAM, 8800GT, WIN 7 x64 Build 7100. Everything  was working like a charm, but...
    Yesterday I renewed all  my drivers, chipset, video and so on. Had no problems with audio, but decided to change the driver form 2.21 to 2.33. After installation something happend. Now system is not recognizing my speakers (Creative 5.1), although the high def device is working properly, and the latest software is installed. I even tried to uninstall the driver and roll back to 2.21, no good. Tried with speakers and headphones.
    Same probem happens even with the preinstalled drivers that come with windows. What is going on???
    Definitely, there is nothing with hardware, as it is ok on another operating system.

Please, see the screenshot:
    http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4689/problemqm.png

Explore additional options in troubleshooter leads me to nothing...

Windows 7 is the best OS, no doubt, in spite it is RC... Hope such problems will not bother us in full version...

Thanks in advance.
    Alexei Iudin.

Saturday, September 19, 2009 8:21 PM
  • Ronnie et al,

Let me add my voice to the previous post.  I'm having the exact same problem with my install of Win7.  The install was on a cllean drive in in an HP Media Center PC (m7367c).  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

message is:

No speaker or headphones are plugged in.

Thanks,
    Stephen S. Baca
    EMAIL GONE

Monday, October 12, 2009 9:51 PM
  • You know, I dont wanna stir up a bees nest here, but Im really getting sick of seeing Ronnie give very VAGUE information, and then mark it as the answer, without letting another moderator do it. You should not be allowed to mark your own answers unless you create the thread. As you can clearly see, the post was NOT answered, yet to all other readers at first glance, it appears answered. I can make a list of at least 10 threads in which i have seen this happen, and only with Ronnie. Dont get me wrong, Ronnie is very knowledgeable, and I dont want him to stop posting, but I would like for him to stop marking his replies as answers, and let another moderator do it, if its necessary, but in this thread for example, right after ronnies post, the user states he followed the direction, and the issue still persists. Am i the only one that sees this? If Im wrong Im sorry, I just try and see things in a fair light.

Further more, he didnt even wait for response, and marked it answer as soon as he wrote it.  Not right.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 1:55 PM
  • Hi all!

This topic is rather old but still... I'm expiriencing the same problem with my audio. So dear Mr. Ronnie Vernon, can you help me with this issue?
    My system is: EX38-DS4 with onboard Realtek 889A, E7200, 4G RAM, 8800GT, WIN 7 x64 Build 7100. Everything  was working like a charm, but...
    Yesterday I renewed all  my drivers, chipset, video and so on. Had no problems with audio, but decided to change the driver form 2.21 to 2.33. After installation something happend. Now system is not recognizing my speakers (Creative 5.1), although the high def device is working properly, and the latest software is installed. I even tried to uninstall the driver and roll back to 2.21, no good. Tried with speakers and headphones.
    Same probem happens even with the preinstalled drivers that come with windows. What is going on???
    Definitely, there is nothing with hardware, as it is ok on another operating system.

Please, see the screenshot:
    http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4689/problemqm.png

Explore additional options in troubleshooter leads me to nothing...

Windows 7 is the best OS, no doubt, in spite it is RC... Hope such problems will not bother us in full version...

Thanks in advance.
    Alexei Iudin.

And it is not correct etiquette to post a "hanger" to someone else's thread.  You should start your own thread.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:25 PM
  • Ronnie et al,

Let me add my voice to the previous post.  I'm having the exact same problem with my install of Win7.  The install was on a cllean drive in in an HP Media Center PC (m7367c).  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

message is:

No speaker or headphones are plugged in.

Thanks,
    Stephen S. Baca
    EMAIL GONE

And it is not correct etiquette to post a "hanger" to someone else's thread.  You should start your own thread.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:25 PM
  • This is NOT the answer.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:28 PM
  • I had this same issue and fixed it by installing a new 'optional' windows update. Accessed through control panel>system and security>windows update. Check to see if any 'optional updates' are available. For me it was an update for creative sound bla bla bla. Anyway hope this helps :)
    • Proposed as answer by chopsuey_au Friday, October 30, 2009 3:54 AM
    Friday, October 30, 2009 3:52 AM
  • I had this same issue and fixed it by installing a new 'optional' windows update. Accessed through control panel>system and security>windows update. Check to see if any 'optional updates' are available. For me it was an update for creative sound bla bla bla. Anyway hope this helps :)

The above did not work for me and additional their was no audio driver under optional this is was I did

1. As Rick Dee said above

Then the AC 97 driver won't work.  You need the HD Codecs.  I have the same chip on my MB and the generic one from Microsoft works.  You can download the one from Realtek directly.  Go to http://www.realtek.com.tw/  and select the "HD Auidio Codec Driver" link http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false  

2. before install disable the generic and them remove the drivers for window using  Windows Device Manager remember to check delete drivers.

2a. Please don't restart and follow the following, if you restart windows will install back the generic drivers.

3. Install the drivers you download in stage 1.

4. Reboot

Your Audio and Mic should be working now.

By Jeffery Walker
    Technology System Integrator

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 10:55 AM
  • I have the exact same problem and this solution doesnt help me a bit.. I tried each and every step over and over again .... no luck
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 12:38 PM