none
Timesheet Manager: Send Status or Send Timesheet? How I can adjust timesheet? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There

probably I am really a newbie, but I cannot understand how this system works.

first at all, in my company, I have used for a long time, MSP2003, moving to MSP2010 right this month.

Issue #1

it's not really clear to me which is the real difference - for a team member (standard profile) - using Send Status or Send Timesheet.

In the standard installation, each resources is his timesheet manager. Is it the right choice? It seems wrong. When a resource submit via Send Timesheet button, the timesheet is "automatically approved".

We do not need a two-steps verification system, can we avoid to do that in some manner? If not, who must be the Timesheet Manager?

Issue #2

We are not able, as ADMIN, to adjust all the timesheets of the resources. Any suggestions?

thanks in advance

f.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:01 PM

All replies

• #1 - If you are using Single Entry Mode, the Send Status button only sends the task update and not the Timesheet part of the transaction. It also does not lock the Timesheet from further modification. The scenario was I need to update the plan for a customer meeting on Wednesday but timesheets aren't submitted until Friday. This button allows that interim update of the plan.

Submit Timesheet is the correct action as it locks the timesheet from further modification, unless recalled via the Manage Timesheets functionality.

In the resource record, if the Timesheet Manager is set to yourself, the Timesheet is autoapproved. You would likely want to change this.

#2 - Each resource can adjust their timesheets via Manage Timesheets. Also, you can set up a delegation relationship to act on behalf of that resource and do the necessary timesheet adjustments.

Treb Gatte @tgatte

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 7:06 PM
  • #1 - And what if I do not use SEM? What do we do with Send Status button then?
    Monday, October 29, 2012 7:55 PM
  • Hi,  Send status sends the task status to the Status Manager (usually the Project Manager).  Insert the Status Manager column into a Project to view the field.  The Status Manager accepts or rejects the Team Member's updates before they are applied to the plan.

The Send Timesheet sends the Timesheet data to the Timesheet manager (usually the line manager) for approval.  You are correct, you need to change the Timesheet manager to the user's line manager.  check out http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197631.aspx and review the timesheet permissions.

In short, you need both, Timesheet data and Status data is separate data.  As Treb talks about above, SEM begins to integrate this from a client perspective, but it is still separate data.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:43 AM