Outlook 2016 Crashing due to drafts and then reply emails; then refuses to open at all RRS feed

• Question

• Outlook 2016 began crashing within drafts. I could not delete old drafts and would crash. Incoming email would work until I did a reply on Friday, March 18, 2016 and the programme crashed. A "report" and an "attempt" by the system to fix was done automatically.

However, nothing.

The email client is Comcast. All drafts have been removed directly from their main server. I have configured email on my laptop with the same Comcast client and the drafts do not show. The main system (which I am addressing) refuses to open with the removed email drafts or work. The response I get is as follows: "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

How quaint! However, I have no notification and the program continues to freeze and close. As for a snip, that would be lovely except the program closes without the ability to take a snip.

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the program directly from Microsoft 365 twice and the situation continues.

I would like an explanation and solution to this issue.

Thursday, March 24, 2016 2:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Actually, uninstalling Office will not remove multiple of your Office program settings.

What type of email account are you using? IMAP or POP3? I'd recommend you first try scanning and repairing your Outlook data file to see the result. For your convenience:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair-Outlook-Data-Files-pst-and-ost-25663bc3-11ec-4412-86c4-60458afc5253

If repairing Outlook data file didn't fix the issue, please also try creating a new Outlook mail profile and then reconfigure your email account in the new mail profile to see if this issue continues.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/kb/829918

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, April 5, 2016 9:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steve Fan Wednesday, April 6, 2016 1:43 AM
    Friday, March 25, 2016 7:14 AM
  • I suppose you mean that your email server is Comcast and your email client is Outlook. If so, make a backup (export to .pst) of your emails (as you never stated the protocol used) and remove the account from Outlook. Now create a new account to Comcast so Outlook will choose the best protocol (Exchange, IMAP and in the very worst case POP3).

Best regards, George

Sunday, March 27, 2016 2:48 PM