none
Will BitLocker or BitLocker on the Go ever support CD/DVD encryption?

Question

• Initially I found that BitLocker on the Go supported removable media like flash drives and external drives. Why isn't a CD/DVD supported since it is considered removable media? Will this support be available in future releases?
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Bitlocker to Go is not supported on CD/DVD. Your suggestion is valuable, I will forward this information to the appropriate department through our internal channel. Both the Microsoft Product Team and Development Team will take into consideration all suggestions and feedback for future releases.

Currently, you may need third party software to encrypt CD/DVD.

Best Regards,

Niki

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 15, 2011 6:02 AM

All replies

• As a follow up to this, what software are people using to encrypt CDs/DVDs?  I have a need for this as well.  I really wish bitlocker had this functionality as well.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 8:22 PM
  • Hi,

Bitlocker to Go is not supported on CD/DVD. Your suggestion is valuable, I will forward this information to the appropriate department through our internal channel. Both the Microsoft Product Team and Development Team will take into consideration all suggestions and feedback for future releases.

Currently, you may need third party software to encrypt CD/DVD.

Best Regards,

Niki

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 15, 2011 6:02 AM
  • Can we have an update to this issue?  Where is adding support for Bitlocker To Go in Microsoft's development timeline?  Will this be a patch to Windows 10?  What about Windows 7?
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 11:35 AM