Word 2007 locks up when trying to open documents at random. RRS feed

• Question

• I have seen other posts on the net about Word 2007 or 2003 hanging when opening documents, or saving documents.  I wanted to see of my problem is the same thing. 

I have a user who does alot of copy and paste work with websites and puts the information into a word document and also copies from .pdf files and puts the information into word documents.  At times, this users Word app will hang at the Microsoft Office Word 2007 splash screen and the app is not listed in the applications tab of the task manager.  The only way to get it to go away is to end the WINWORD.exe process and go from there but it does the same thing after that.  The only way to get Word to open is to restart the computer and everything will operate fine after that. 

This problem is intermittent and so far very hard to diagnose.  The only error that has been produced so far is "There was a problem sending the command to the program", and also Word has asked to open in safe mode which still does not open correctly.  Another FYI, this user is accessing the documents from a network location, if that makes any difference.  I don't think that it could be an issue with memory either because it has been replaced once and the task manager shows only 53% used when this happens.  Any ideas would be helpful.

David Hood
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi David,

Could you tell us the operating system you are using?

Based on my research, there is a known issue between Windows 7 & 2008 and Office 2007 would behave as you said.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproappcompat/thread/4adc021b-9be8-4dee-9ef8-adb3e028560d

If that's the case, please try to fix it by install the hotfix in the following kb:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982860

If not, I'd also suggest you to keep your Office and Windows up to date.

Since Office 2007 Service Pack 3 has been recently released, please have it installed and see if we can get it fixed.

DownloadDownload the 2007 Office Suite SP3 package now.

If practicable, I also suggest you to run the impacted machine in clean boot mode, to check if we will still get the issue, if we won't, then it might caused by some third party service.

Or download and run the Process Moniter to capture more detail info when Word get locked up.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Edited by Max Meng Monday, November 7, 2011 5:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:26 AM
    Monday, November 7, 2011 5:14 PM
  • The user has been out for a few days so I cannot test much right now since it does not happen all the time.  Also I am currently in a Microsoft training class so I will not be back to work until Monday, Nov 14.  When I find something about the problem/fix I will try to come back and post it.  
    David Hood
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 7:15 PM