XPS file association lost RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Having installed SQL Server 2008 Express and Visual Studio 2008 Express I lost association with XPS files.  Although I was able to bring file association back (fortunately XPS file viewer did not disappear from list of programs) I cannot change default icon for XPS file.

What should I do to rectify the problem?

Sunday, November 16, 2008 4:53 PM

Answers

• Hikari

Go to the following website.

File association fixes for Windows Vista:
    http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/File-association-fixes-for-Windows-Vista.html

In the blue 'File Association Fixes' box, click the 'XPS' box.

Download the .zip file to the Desktop.

Unzip the file.

Right click the  'xpsfix_vista.reg'  file and select the 'Merge' option.

Confirm the registry merge prompts.

This will rebuild the default registry entries for the XPS file type, including the default icon.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:57 AM
  • Hi,

Maybe that after you installed .Net Framework 3.5, the file association is corrupt. If XPS files were associated to Microsoft Office programs, you may reinstall Office to recreate the association. However, if XPS files were launched by other programs, reinstalling the programs should help you to resolve the issue.

If the issue still occurs after reinstalling, I suggest that you create a new user account.

Create a new user account

====================

1. Click the Start Button, and then click Control Panel. 

2. Click Classic View in left panel. 

3. Double-click User Accounts.

4. Click Manage another use account. 

5. Click Create a new account, and type the name.

6. Choose account type as Computer administrator.

7. Click Create Account.

8. Log off and log on with the new account.

If the issue does not occur in the new user profile, you may use the new account to replace the problematic one. Please follow the steps below to transfer personal data.

Transfer user profile

===============

1. Log on as the new user account (make sure the new user account has administrator privilege).

2. Click the Start menu, and click Computer.

3. Click the Organize button on the left top corner and choose Folder and Search Options.

4. Under View tab, check the "Show hidden files and folders" box and click OK to save settings.

5. Navigate to the C:\Users\(old user name) folder.

Note: The "old user name" refers to the user name of your old account. For example, if the user name of your old account is "Larry", the folder should be C:\Users\Larry.

5. Copy all files and folders in the C:\Users\(old user name) folder to the C:\Users\(new user name) folder.

Note: To copy all files, we can press Ctrl+A, and then Ctrl+C in the C:\Users\(old user name) folder. After that, navigate to the C:\Users\(new user name) folder, click Ctrl+V. Replace them with the new files.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:03 AM

All replies

• Hikari

Go to the following website.

File association fixes for Windows Vista:
    http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/File-association-fixes-for-Windows-Vista.html

In the blue 'File Association Fixes' box, click the 'XPS' box.

Download the .zip file to the Desktop.

Unzip the file.

Right click the  'xpsfix_vista.reg'  file and select the 'Merge' option.

Confirm the registry merge prompts.

This will rebuild the default registry entries for the XPS file type, including the default icon.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:57 AM
  • The problem is that I get the message that not all the keys could be copied and there is no visible effect (even after restart).

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:25 AM
  • Hi,

Follow the steps below to restore the file association.

1. Launch Notepad.

2. Paste the following contents into Notepad.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xps]

@="XPSViewer.Document"

"Content Type"="application/vnd.ms-xpsdocument"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xps\bootstrap]

@="bootstrap.xps.1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xps\OpensWithProgIds]

"XPSViewer.Document"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xps\PersistentHandler]

@="{A9A9AA2F-CAA7-4A6F-95D2-769C556E325B}"

3. Save file to Desktop, with name xps.reg.

4. On Desktop, double-click on xps.reg. When it prompts that it will modify the Registry, allow it.

If the issue still occurs, I suggest that you reinstall Microsoft Office.

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 8:46 AM
  • Unfortunately the problem still persist (I cannot tranfer whole registers). I even turned off Kaspersky Internet Security, but it brought no progress.

Why do you think that reinstaling Office should help? Actually XPS file problem started after installation of .NET 3.5.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 2:12 PM
  • Hi,

Maybe that after you installed .Net Framework 3.5, the file association is corrupt. If XPS files were associated to Microsoft Office programs, you may reinstall Office to recreate the association. However, if XPS files were launched by other programs, reinstalling the programs should help you to resolve the issue.

If the issue still occurs after reinstalling, I suggest that you create a new user account.

Create a new user account

====================

1. Click the Start Button, and then click Control Panel. 

2. Click Classic View in left panel. 

3. Double-click User Accounts.

4. Click Manage another use account. 

5. Click Create a new account, and type the name.

6. Choose account type as Computer administrator.

7. Click Create Account.

8. Log off and log on with the new account.

If the issue does not occur in the new user profile, you may use the new account to replace the problematic one. Please follow the steps below to transfer personal data.

Transfer user profile

===============

1. Log on as the new user account (make sure the new user account has administrator privilege).

2. Click the Start menu, and click Computer.

3. Click the Organize button on the left top corner and choose Folder and Search Options.

4. Under View tab, check the "Show hidden files and folders" box and click OK to save settings.

5. Navigate to the C:\Users\(old user name) folder.

Note: The "old user name" refers to the user name of your old account. For example, if the user name of your old account is "Larry", the folder should be C:\Users\Larry.

5. Copy all files and folders in the C:\Users\(old user name) folder to the C:\Users\(new user name) folder.

Note: To copy all files, we can press Ctrl+A, and then Ctrl+C in the C:\Users\(old user name) folder. After that, navigate to the C:\Users\(new user name) folder, click Ctrl+V. Replace them with the new files.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:03 AM