none
SBS 2008 - Drive Letters for USB Hard Drives RRS feed

• Question

• Setting up a backup for a user, 5x Daily rotating USB Hard Drive.

The network has F: mapped and in a logon script.

When I plug a USB Drive in Windows automatically gives it F: - This should not occur, why is it?

So I go ahead and change the assigned letter of each drive one by one to say Z: or whatever I want (first I tried G:).

Once I've gone through and set the 5, I plug the first back in and it will now receive either F:, G: or Z:.

To be clear I've plugged them each in individually (only one lead to do so with) and confirmed they have the letter assigned before removing. The backup software I am using (BackupAssist 6.4.1) works a lot smoother if the drives are all the one letter (and I don't want the user seeing "Completed with Minor Warnings" because the drive letter is wrong).

So, why is Windows assigning a letter to a unique drive, then later on assigning a completely different letter to that same drive?

Edit - Yes I have removed the other letter assignments from the drive - as in in disk management I have "changed" the drive letter assignment, not added extra ones.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 9:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have a try to remove the 5 USB devices in Device Manager so that Windows will reinstall the driver of these devices. Check if issue still exists.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 1, 2012 9:23 AM
  • Disconnect all drives and run mountvol /R.

Let me know if it works

Apart you can use mountpoint instead of drive letters as drive letters are never guaranteed to be unique.

To Create a mountpoint

md c:\mnt1

diskpart> sel vol <vol>

diskpart> assign mount=c:\mnt1

use c:\mnt1 as reference,

Regards

Satish

Monday, June 4, 2012 7:08 AM