none
Split-brain DNS question... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Our DNS zone (mycompany.co.uk) is hosted externally by DynDNS and has around 20 records.

Our internal domain is mycompany.local, but we recently setup split-brain DNS and created a new zone for mycompany.co.uk. This was to ensure a certain application would use and internal IP address when laptops were inside the LAN but point to a public IP address when outside the corporate network.

That works fine. But now I notice the other 19 records we have in our external DNS now do not work when inside the LAN - for example our website www.mycompany.co.uk. 

Is there a way to forward DNS queries for "anything else" that does not specifically exist in our new internal zone? Or do I need to manually re-create all 19 records.

many thanks

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 6:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that some records on external DNS server can’t be resolved when device inside the LAN after configuring split-brain DNS.

If the DNS records is only registered in the external zone, the internal devices will not be able to resolve the name. Because the internal DNS servers do not have these records in their zone. The internal DNS servers will not attempt to resolve this host name using root hints/ forwarders/any other DNS servers. Because the internal DNS servers host an authoritative zone. 

Manually create these records on the internal DNS servers in corresponding zone. Once the IP address of the record is changed, remember to update it.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 12, 2015 7:44 AM