old windows xp boot entry dissapeared RRS feed

• Question

• Hi i installed windows 7 but i previously had windows xp.

My windows xp boot entry had disappeared, i tried to get it back with easy bcd but he doesnt register any windows xp.

then i have tried to run in administrator command prompt and write bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "Windows XP"

as i have heard that command creates boot entry for windows xp. But when type it and press enter, this message appears

"an error occurred while attempting the specified create operation.

the specified entry already exists.

cannot create a file when that file already exists."

Also when i open command prompt as administrator it directs me to c:\windows\system32>

is that folder where i am supposed to write bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "Windows XP" ? also both my new windows and old windows are in C: disk, and it is only partition i have. Can you help me with explaining how to get my windows xp boot entry back?

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 9:01 PM

All replies

• Hi i installed windows 7 but i previously had windows xp.

My windows xp boot entry had disappeared, i tried to get it back with easy bcd but he doesnt register any windows xp.

I'd like to confirm:
    How did you install Windows 7 in your Windows XP machine?
    Clean / Fresh install, Update install, or you wanted to make it dual-boot?
    Please explain more clearly what you want to do and what you did.
    Wednesday, April 26, 2017 11:15 PM
  • I installed it not as update, but i went for install new copy of windows (advanced), so my computer then makes my windows xp be in windows old folder. I've done this many times and in those cases i was able to go to windows 7 in my boot menu, or to windows xp if i choose earlier version of windows (in boot menu).

But this time when i was installing windows 7 my pc unsuspectidly crashed, so i've run installation agaiin. When i finished i've seen in my boot menu that there are 2 windows 7 entries. I figured out that there were two because first time i was installing it my pc crashed and even though that windows 7 wasn't finished, it had its entry in boot menu. second windows 7 entry in boot menu was ofcourse there because i run windows 7 installation again (cause first installation wasn't full, it crashed).

The problem here is that there wasn't any windows xp entry in my boot menu . So yes i would like to be able to run either windows xp or windows 7, whatever i choose when i turn on my computer (in my boot menu). I guess that is called dual boot.

I think that my computer can only have 2 entries in my boot menu. Thus it happened that those 2 windows 7 entries have overwritten my windows xp entry in my boot menu. I used program easy bcd as it has ability to change boot menu. I've deleted second windows 7 entry (the one which was result of unfinished windows 7 installation (i deleted that windows 7 from my C: disk before, since it was unfinished and useless)) with help of easy bcd. But I wasn't able to recover my windows xp entry in my boot menu. I went for add entry, i selected windows xp, but easy bcd wouldn't detect any windows xp in my computer (even though it is in C:windows.old\windows). So now when i turn my computer on in my boot menu only windows 7 appears, i cannot select windows xp, as it doesn't have entry. I tried to add entry to windows xp in my command prompt (i described it in my previous post), but it didn't work.

So what i want to do is to be able to enter either windows xp or windows 7, whichever i select in my boot menu (that is to have both entries for both of windows, not like now when i have entry only for windows 7). Thanks for answering.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:38 AM
  • Hi dragan895,

In advance, I didn't read / understand whole of your prior post.

If you want to do a dual-boot of Windows XP and 7 and cannot see the two in your boot menu, try to use "EasyBCD".  EasyBCD enables you to see boot sections and edit them.
    This is a sample of mine (Win.10 + 8.1)

_________
    Ashidacchi
    Saturday, April 29, 2017 12:28 AM