none
Address Book vs. Contacts RRS feed

• Question

• Background:

We've moved to SBS 2011 with its Exchange 2010 for our mail server (previously we used our ISPs SMTP service). We've always used Outlook as our mail client and we are currently using Outlook 2003 because everybody is familiar with it and we don't need any of the later improvements (so-called). We imported everybody's .pest file into Exchange without problems and everything is working OK - mostly.

Here's my Problem/Question:

If a user is composing an email, they will click on the TO button which brings up the Address Book from which they select their recipients. This works. However, if they want to see the telephone number of snail mail address for one of these people, they can't because this information is not in the Address Book. To see this information. they must click, on the Toolbar, Go, Contacts. All information is there. Why is this?

Is there a way to get the Contacts DB to populate the Address Book?

Tom Mason

PS: It should be obvious that I'm new to Exchange so please be gentle with me.+

Tomás Mason
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:12 AM

Answers

• On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 05:12:21 +0000, Tomás Mason wrote:

>Background: We've moved to SBS 2011 with its Exchange 2010 for our mail server (previously we used our ISPs SMTP service). We've always used Outlook as our mail client and we are currently using Outlook 2003 because everybody is familiar with it and we don't need any of the later improvements (so-called). We imported everybody's .pest file into Exchange without problems and everything is working OK - mostly. Here's my Problem/Question: If a user is composing an email, they will click on the TO button which brings up the Address Book from which they select their recipients. This works. However, if they want to see the telephone number of snail mail address for one of these people, they can't because this information is not in the Address Book. To see this information. they must click, on the Toolbar, Go, Contacts. All information is there. Why is this?

Because the information is in the mailbox's Contacts folder and not in
    the Active Directory.

>Is there a way to get the Contacts DB to populate the Address Book?

Not directly, and you'll have to de-dupe the results to avoid errors
    when using Powershell to import the results from each person's contat
    list. Be sure to have those users remove from the CSV any personal
    information they don't want to be in the AD.

http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/ss/Export_Outlook_Contacts_to_CSV.htm

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    • Marked as answer by Xiu Zhang Tuesday, November 29, 2011 2:43 AM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:13 PM

All replies

• I am not so sure particularly about SBS2011 but would suggest this is not as much different. The information presented in Outlook when choosing a user from your Address Book is the same you can see in user accounts in your Active Directory part of the organization.

Unfortunately can't help you with how to populate it automatically.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 9:46 AM
  • On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 05:12:21 +0000, Tomás Mason wrote:

>Background: We've moved to SBS 2011 with its Exchange 2010 for our mail server (previously we used our ISPs SMTP service). We've always used Outlook as our mail client and we are currently using Outlook 2003 because everybody is familiar with it and we don't need any of the later improvements (so-called). We imported everybody's .pest file into Exchange without problems and everything is working OK - mostly. Here's my Problem/Question: If a user is composing an email, they will click on the TO button which brings up the Address Book from which they select their recipients. This works. However, if they want to see the telephone number of snail mail address for one of these people, they can't because this information is not in the Address Book. To see this information. they must click, on the Toolbar, Go, Contacts. All information is there. Why is this?

Because the information is in the mailbox's Contacts folder and not in
    the Active Directory.

>Is there a way to get the Contacts DB to populate the Address Book?

Not directly, and you'll have to de-dupe the results to avoid errors
    when using Powershell to import the results from each person's contat
    list. Be sure to have those users remove from the CSV any personal
    information they don't want to be in the AD.

http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/ss/Export_Outlook_Contacts_to_CSV.htm

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    • Marked as answer by Xiu Zhang Tuesday, November 29, 2011 2:43 AM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:13 PM