none
Pinned Task Bar Icon Disappear After Restart RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

As the title says, the icons of the application I pin to the task bar, disappear after I restart the PC. 

Is it a known issue? can it be resolved?

Gil Levy

Friday, February 3, 2017 12:48 PM

Answers

•  I have found the cause for the problem and the solution.

For anyone who's using BitDefender version 2017 and above, you must remove Desktop folder from the protected folders list.

I don't know if the guys over at BD are aware of this issue, but once the Desktop folder is no longer in that list, there are no issues with the icons.

Gil Levy

• Marked as answer by Gil-Levy Tuesday, August 1, 2017 2:10 AM
    Tuesday, August 1, 2017 2:10 AM

All replies

• Since when this problem started?

Is your PC part of domain or company network?

Open start and search for Feedback and open Feedback Hub and report these issues.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 4:34 PM
  • Hi all,

As the title says, the icons of the application I pin to the task bar, disappear after I restart the PC. 

Gil Levy

I have 2 seemingly silly questions :

1. After Restart, were you logged back to the same user account ?
    Any chance you were logged in to a Temporary Profile ?

2. The icons you pinned disappeared, but what about Task View, Edge  and Store ? Were they still there ?

• Edited by david hk129 Wednesday, February 8, 2017 12:42 AM
    Tuesday, February 7, 2017 4:59 PM
  • Hi Gil-Levy,

Did the issue occur with other accounts?

Please try the following steps:
    1.Rebuild the icon cache.
    Open an administrator command line and run:
    taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
    CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
    DEL IconCache.db /a
    shutdown /r /f /t 00
    2.Check whether the pinned shortcut is located in the following path:
    C:\Users\[User name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
    3.There is a possibility that present user account has been corrupted. We could refer to the following link to fix it.
    Fix a corrupted user profile in Windows 7(The steps should be applied to the later version)
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14039/windows-7-fix-corrupted-user-profile

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 6:29 AM
  • Since when this problem started?

Is your PC part of domain or company network?

Open start and search for Feedback and open Feedback Hub and report these issues.

My PC is in my home domain. happened after a GPU driver update.

Gil Levy

Thursday, February 9, 2017 11:01 AM
  • Hi all,

Gil Levy

I have 2 seemingly silly questions :

1. After Restart, were you logged back to the same user account ?
    Any chance you were logged in to a Temporary Profile ?

2. The icons you pinned disappeared, but what about Task View, Edge  and Store ? Were they still there ?

1. Yes, same user account.

2. These disappeared as well. I only had the Folder icon (File Explorer).

Gil Levy

Thursday, February 9, 2017 11:02 AM
  • Hi Gil-Levy,

Did the issue occur with other accounts?

Please try the following steps:
    1.Rebuild the icon cache.
    Open an administrator command line and run:
    taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
    CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
    DEL IconCache.db /a
    shutdown /r /f /t 00
    2.Check whether the pinned shortcut is located in the following path:
    C:\Users\[User name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
    3.There is a possibility that present user account has been corrupted. We could refer to the following link to fix it.
    Fix a corrupted user profile in Windows 7(The steps should be applied to the later version)
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14039/windows-7-fix-corrupted-user-profile

Best regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

After few restarts, the icons came back. I have no idea why it's a random thing. The disappeared again, the next day they appear. So it seems a random thing.

Here is something even stranger. If I open an app that used to be pinned but has disappeared, I right click on the app in order to pinned it again, I see "Unpin from task bar"! This means that the app is pinned, however, it is not visible.

Gil Levy

Thursday, February 9, 2017 11:05 AM
  • Hi Gil-Levy,

For a random issue, it is hard to troubleshoot it. Please check the symptom in clean boot.

Clean boot

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

If the issue persists, please refer to my original reply to fix this account.

Best regards

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 7:14 AM
  • Here is something even stranger. If I open an app that used to be pinned but has disappeared, I right click on the app in order to pinned it again, I see "Unpin from task bar"! This means that the app is pinned, however, it is not visible.

Gil Levy

Suggestions ................

1. Rebuild icon cache
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5645-icon-cache-rebuild-windows-10-a.html

2. Clear Thumbnail cache
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5655-thumbnail-cache-clear-reset-windows-10-a.html

3. Create another user account with exactly the same privileges.
    Logon to it and see if you have the same problem.
    If no problem in the new account, it would suggest that the original account is corrupted.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 4:42 PM
  • I have had this problem too ever since I updated to the windows 10 creators update. In the end I debugged and found out that the problem was that Windows wasn't allowing me to pin directly from the searches (eg if i search "internet explorer", right click, pin to taskbar and then restart my computer it will dissapear. If I do rightclick, create shortcut and then pin the shortcut it also will dissapear after shutdown or restart.) This is because windows isn't allowing you to pin/create shortcut directlly from the search result. Instead you have to search "your file name", right click, open in folder and make a shortcut from there to your desktop, then pin the shortcut fromyour desktop and delete the shortcut (or keep it somewhere if you want) Hopefully this helps!
    • Proposed as answer by Behem07h Saturday, July 29, 2017 2:02 PM
    Saturday, July 29, 2017 2:01 PM
  •  I have found the cause for the problem and the solution.

For anyone who's using BitDefender version 2017 and above, you must remove Desktop folder from the protected folders list.

I don't know if the guys over at BD are aware of this issue, but once the Desktop folder is no longer in that list, there are no issues with the icons.

Gil Levy

• Marked as answer by Gil-Levy Tuesday, August 1, 2017 2:10 AM
    Tuesday, August 1, 2017 2:10 AM
  • When I have the list of protected folders displayed, I am not able to delete any of these. I think they are the default folders protected by Windows defender and they cannot be deleted.

What did you do to delete the desktop folder?

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 12:46 AM
  • I'm having the same issue, but it is only the MS Office 2016 icons that are disappearing after restart.  The browser icons and other non-MSFT software icons remain.  It's only Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint that disappear.

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 1:57 AM
  • Also same issue with affecting only MS Office 2016 icons.  Furthermore I have OneNote for window 10 and it's icon remains pinned to the taskbar after restart.
    Thursday, March 8, 2018 5:02 AM
  • I had the same problem on an Windows 2016 Server running RDS. To test, before logging out, I'd pin a folder to the taskbar.

Within a few seconds after logging in, the pinned folder would disappear. I figured it was a GPO (Group Policy Object) issue and discovered it was the following GPO item: Hide Internet Explorer icon on desktop

---------------------------------------------

To correct this:

• Edit Group Policy -> User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Desktop
    • Set to Disabled (or Not Configured)

This also removes the Internet Explorer shortcut, when pinned to the taskbar.

---------------------------------------------

For other pinned programs, use the following GPO setting: Remove pinned programs from the Taskbar

---------------------------------------------To correct this:

• Edit Group Policy -> User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu and Taskbar
    • Set to Disabled (or Not Configured)

Friday, May 18, 2018 4:52 PM
  • Happened to me recently, starting a pinned program from the start menu and unpinning it made the other pins show up again.
    Thursday, August 9, 2018 7:46 PM
  • Try to press window button with the letter T
    Sunday, September 2, 2018 7:37 PM
  • Solved my problem of pinned applications disappearing  after every boot by turning off
    "Controlled Folder Access" in Windows 10 Defender. Windows Security-> Virus & Threat Protection->Controlled Folder Access (turn off). 

I had dumped AVG and Avast and turned on Windows native protection. Experimenting with settings, I turn Controlled Folder Access "ON". This prevented files from being written (in various applications) especially during a controlled shutdown.  This included the files that held the data in the Taskbar pinned list. 

Turned off Controlled Folder Access and my problem was solved. Other problems as well.
    Tuesday, May 28, 2019 1:51 PM
  • Worked. Thanks for help.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 5:37 AM
  • Mine had disappeared after activating BitLocker, but this method worked … unpin one, and the rest immediately re-appeared.
    • Proposed as answer by ravianz Thursday, November 7, 2019 6:45 AM
    Monday, June 17, 2019 5:08 PM
  • I ended up with similar issue, though did not happen after reboot, it happened after updating windows 10 build 1709 to build 1903. 

Not all pinned icons vanished either. Newer icons still show, but the older ones vanished, but if I try to pin any of the ones that vanished, the new one will have a (2) in the name which showed me the origional icons still existed in the apdata folder, which I verified are all there. 

Not sure what the deciding factor is that decided what to show or not show, other than this only happens to me when updating. I just open file location and then delete the icon and repin it after.

Saturday, August 3, 2019 6:49 AM
  • this resolves my problem! thanks
    Thursday, November 7, 2019 6:45 AM