Empty 'Content' folder on Streaming Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have my App-V network load balancing setup fine, in production now. I will need to setup an App-V Streaming Server at remote site. I ran the installed and configure the 'content' pointing to AppV Cluster Name (\\clustername.domain\content). The setup seems OK, but here my questions:

1. Is there a Management Console on Streaming Server? I don't see anyting existing.

2. On Streaming Server, the 'Content' folder is empty. I guess because I set it up pointing to AppV Cluster Name (\\clustername.domain\content) or I may be setting it all wrong?

3. For the AppV client at remote site, ApplicationSourceRoot will be \\streamingservername\content or it should be the same like other clients at central site, which is rtsp://clustername.domain/content ?

Frist time setting up Streaming Server at remote site, please advice, thanks.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 8:55 PM

Answers

• Hello,

ApplicationSourceRoot seems correct, but if you have installed only the streaming server - this can not be configured as a publishing server within the client.

Your client should refresh against the management server, and stream data from the streaming-server.

Meaning; when you install your client, configure the applicationsourceroot to streaming-server and the management-server as your publishing server. 

/Znack
    • Marked as answer by ThangMo Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:27 PM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:08 PM

All replies

• Hello,

1. No

2. Yeah, any content of the folder will have to be manually placed (meaning by a mechanism outside of app-v) there.

3. Seems odd to point to a folder that would be empty? (which you claimed in 2)

I am not really seeing why you are using a local streaming-server, as it seems that any content is still picked up "centrally"?

/Znack

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:03 PM
  • You can use DFS to replicate the Content share to a remote site

You should set ApplicationSourceRoot to be consistent with the clients in the main site. If you are using rtsp://clustername.domain in the main site, set rtsp://streamingserver.domain for the remote site.

This stuff is all documented, start here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/cc843634.aspx

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:52 PM
  • Oh, well. I do need help here.

On Streaming Server, I configured Content to local - C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Microsoft System Center App Virt Streaming Server\Content, I then copied the packages from Management Server over to this Content folder.

On the AppV Client at remote site, I tested out the following ApplicationSourceRoot configuration below:

ApplicatioSourceRoot = rtsp://streamingserver.domain

ApplicatioSourceRoot = rtsp://streamingserver.domain/content

ApplicatioSourceRoot = \\streamingserver\content

None is working, I got error messages: The server did not understand the request.

The log said: "Failure on Desktop Configuration Server request to URL {rtsp://streamingserver.domain.local} with header {Host: streamingserver.domain.local Content-Type: text/xml AppV-Op: Refresh} (rc 1680D40A-00000014)

Why it said "Failure on Desktop Configuration Server request to URL...)?

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:00 PM
  • Hello,

ApplicationSourceRoot seems correct, but if you have installed only the streaming server - this can not be configured as a publishing server within the client.

Your client should refresh against the management server, and stream data from the streaming-server.

Meaning; when you install your client, configure the applicationsourceroot to streaming-server and the management-server as your publishing server. 

/Znack
    • Marked as answer by ThangMo Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:27 PM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:08 PM
  • Meaning; when you install your client, configure the applicationsourceroot to streaming-server and the management-server as your publishing server.

It works, thank you, all.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:27 PM
  • I don't understand this. It's a Streaming Server, should its content be automatically synch with the content of the management servers? we don't have DFS, yet. I manually copy any package from management server content to streaming server content!

Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:40 PM
  • Hello,

See my first answer (post), number two.

/Znack
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:34 PM
  • Oh, well. I do need help here.

On Streaming Server, I configured Content to local - C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Microsoft System Center App Virt Streaming Server\Content, I then copied the packages from Management Server over to this Content folder.

On the AppV Client at remote site, I tested out the following ApplicationSourceRoot configuration below:

ApplicatioSourceRoot = rtsp://streamingserver.domain

ApplicatioSourceRoot = rtsp://streamingserver.domain/content

ApplicatioSourceRoot = \\streamingserver\content

None is working, I got error messages: The server did not understand the request.

The log said: "Failure on Desktop Configuration Server request to URL {rtsp://streamingserver.domain.local} with header {Host: streamingserver.domain.local Content-Type: text/xml AppV-Op: Refresh} (rc 1680D40A-00000014)

Why it said "Failure on Desktop Configuration Server request to URL...)?

Thanks.

You have to set the Port behind your Streaming-Server: RTSP://StreamingServer:554

Kind regards

Andy

Thursday, September 16, 2010 9:28 AM