none
Size of file grows RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Once again I come to this excellent forum with some MS Project problems that I am not able to resolve or find the answer to. Maybe you can help me?

I use MS Project 2010.

My schedule is rather large, it has approx. 28000 tasks and the file is approx. 57 MB.

I update it a couple of times every week, add tasks, delete tasks and change connections and information.

My problem is that it grows all the time. The MB gets bigger and bigger. Are all the deletions still saved? Is there any way to avoid this? I think that I can backstep 5 undos.

When I save the file it is bigger. But if I save the file with a new name it is smaller again!!

I have tried to save the file with a new name, delete the old file and rename the saved file to the correct name. It works but I do not like it.

Anyone who can shed some light on this problem?

Friday, July 20, 2018 9:35 AM

All replies

• Persson Jan,

To help avoid file bloat I always use Save As to the same file name, I never use a "straight" Save.

Try saving the file to XML and then re-open the XML file in Project. That will normally clear out a lot of unnecessary bulk. Note, you will lose any custom formatting with this process.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, July 20, 2018 12:57 PM