Cannot dial certain 8xx numbers using a SIP Trunk to CUCM version 7.1.3.10000-11 RRS feed

• Question

• Running Lync Server 2010 (4.0.7577.0) with a SIP trunk to CUCM version 7.1.3.10000-11.  
    Using the Lync client, users can't place calls to certain 8xx numbers.  It's not that they work intermittently, they just don't work at all. I have a case open since January with Microsoft and Cisco and both are blaming each other.  After reviewing several traces from both the Cisco phone system and the Lync server, both vendors are saying each other is at fault.  When the call is placed from a Lync client, the Cisco system is sending a SIP "UPDATE" message back to the Lync Server.  When the UPDATE method is received, the LYNC server cannot find a matching call, sending back the 481 Call Leg/Transaction Does Not Exist response which results in the call being taken down at the remote end.  While MS isn't entirely sure what the purpose of the UPDATE method is in this dialog, they believe that the call would proceed as expected if the message were formatted correctly, meaning removing the UPDATE message. Cisco says that they have reviewed the traces and are adhering to the full SIP RFC and MS isn't by not accepting the SIP UPDATE message.
    Is anyone running a similar environment and would be up for testing this?  We can't fully roll out Lync until we are able to dial ALL 8xx numbers.
    Thanks!
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:58 PM

All replies

• Whats the difference between 800 numbers that work and ones that dont? this maybe a matter of changing your routing somewhat to accomadate the issue rather than wait for a magical work fix from either vendor.

I take it you are using Cisco routers in your enviroment as well? Are you using MGCP or H323 as the gateway signaling protocol?

Cheers

Chris

http://voipnorm.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:43 PM
  • The only difference we can see is that for the 8xx numbers that do work, an UPDATE message is not sent or if it is, it's after the session is established.  Config, routing, etc... is all the same for all 8xx numbers.  Yes, we are using Cisco routers and using MGCP.
    Friday, April 1, 2011 12:46 PM
  • Anyone come across this issue?  Or anyone willing to test this?  I can provide specific numbers that do not work.  
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 1:00 PM
  • Just an update.  After further troubleshooting, dialing certain 8xx numbers from the Lync client via SIP Trunk to CUCM out via an XO PRI circuit work just fine.  However, dialing those same numbers on AT&T or Qwest circuits do not work. (some of the numbers I dialed were actual AT&T support 8xx numbers that do not work)  However, they work on physical Cisco phones that use the same trunk to place outbound calls.
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:34 PM
  • It appears I'm the only one updating this thread :)  I find it very hard to believe no one has come across this issue except us.  In any case, I'm now routing all 8xx that do not work out via an XO circuit and it will be a manual process for now.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 4:55 PM
  • did you find an answer?  I just got this issue.  I can't dial 888-808-6929 from Lync.  HAHA. But, my Cisco phone dials it just fine.    Anyways, i'm starting the troubleshooting on my end.  *sigh*

It also appears that you and I , have almost the EXACT same setup.  Lync -> Cisco CUCM -> Sip

BTW, did you report this to Microsoft - cause, honestly, this is exactly the thing that they should know about.  If not, I will be ASAP.

if my post is helpful - please click on the green arrow. (please excuse, in advance, any perceived sarcasm/humor - as I often forget it does not translate through text) :)

• Edited by Greg Seeber Monday, August 13, 2012 5:22 PM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 5:20 PM
  • Ok. So, allow me to respectfully recuse myself from this one.  It turns out that on the CUCM server we had a configuration that was denying that pattern.  We had it in there with a "1" at the beginning and the pattern was typo'ed.  Anyways, we resolved it internally.   

if my post is helpful - please click on the green arrow. (please excuse, in advance, any perceived sarcasm/humor - as I often forget it does not translate through text) :)

Monday, August 13, 2012 8:11 PM
  • Hi ,

I'm having the exact same issue . Calling from a Lync client to internal Cisco phones via SBC/CUCM 8.5 doesn't work while calling the outside pstn works, still via SBC/CUCM8.5. The SIP UPDATE is sent in both case , nothing out of the ordinary when comparing the two. This is a real mistery at least for now.. anyone found an explanation?

Thanks
    SB

Monday, October 1, 2012 4:44 PM