none
Hyper-V option to create VM is greyed out RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all, please let me know if I'm missing any information here..
    When trying to create a VM using the Quick Create option, no matter what OS or what source I choose the "Create Virtual Machine" option is greyed out. Sometimes if I let the wizard sit open long enough I get an error popup with the text: "Generic failure".

Furthermore, if I try to run through the steps using the New Virtual Machine Wizard, the wizard gets stuck forever on the "Loading Page" popup when trying to access the Assign Memory page.

I checked event viewer and found the following three errors:

"The Host Network Service service depends on the Microsoft Azure VFP Switch Extension service which failed to start because of the following error: 
    A device attached to the system is not functioning."

"svchost (12668,R,98) TILEREPOSITORYS-1-5-18: Error -1023 (0xfffffc01) occurred while opening logfile C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\EDB.log."

"The Microsoft Azure VFP Switch Extension service failed to start due to the following error: 
    A device attached to the system is not functioning."

I have been fighting with these issues all day yesterday and today trying to use Docker, VisualBox, and now Hyper-V. This is a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro and is less than a month old.

Update:
    After waiting for around 20-30 minutes per Loading Page message, it gets past the message. Bad news, no network was selectable and I got the following error almost immediately after selecting Finish to build the VM:
    "Hyper-V encountered an error while configuring the network on New Virtual Machine

Hyper-V encountered an error trying to access an object on computer 'ComputerName' because the object was not found. The object might have been deleted, or you might not have permission to perfrom the task. Verify that the Virtual Machine Management service on the computer is running. If the service is running, try to perform the task again by using Run as Administrator."

• Edited by dhahnke Wednesday, August 14, 2019 9:42 PM New info
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 6:20 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Did you first check the prerequisites to successfully run Client Hyper-V on Windows 10?

There are also hardware requirements:

• 64-bit CPU with Second Level Address Translation (SLAT).
    • Processor must support VM Monitor Mode Extension (VT-c on Intel chips).
    • 4GB of memory at a minimum.

You could type systeminfo.exe command to check Hyper-V Requirements:

For your reference:

Windows 10 Hyper-V System Requirements

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Thursday, August 15, 2019 3:49 AM
  • Thanks for the reply! Good question, I did check the requirements and I meet the requirements (Windows 10 Pro, 9900k, 32gb ram, Intel Virtualization Technology enabled) and I get the default message for Hyper-V Requirments message "A hypervisor has been detected. Features required for Hyper-V will not be displayed".
    Thursday, August 15, 2019 3:18 PM
  • Hi ,

>>I get the default message for Hyper-V Requirments message "A hypervisor has been detected. Features required for Hyper-V will not be displayed".

If you run systeminfo on an existing Hyper-V host, the Hyper-V Requirements section will show above message.

We first run this command before installing Hyper-V on Windows 10.

Please refer to the following steps:

1.Patch your system with fully windows updates.

2.Run the System File Check tool:  sfc /scannow.

3.Try to reinstall hyper-v and then check if the error still occurs.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Friday, August 16, 2019 2:10 AM