none
Reporting support tasks in Project Pro 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• What is the recommended way to represent support task in Project Pro 2013? For example Project mgmt. support? I could create a task that has the same duration as the full project and assign the PM to that task. I could even assign him/her at say 66% to represent that they are not working on this project full time.

The problem that arises from this method is that this task becomes the critical path. Obviously this is not correct.

I could create a Project Mgmt summary task with recurring children inside for meetings, reports, etc. This is cumbersome and difficult to get it to represent the full breadth of the PMs activities.

Suggestions?

Floyd Kershner, PMP MCSE

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 3:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Floyd,

Unfortunately, the critical path is an automatic calculation based on the slack. So you cannot exclude tasks from it.
    You might have a couple of workarounds:

• You could note how much slack your "real" critical path has and then in File/Options/Advanced, put this slack in "Tasks are critical if slack is less thatn or equal to...".
    • You could also reduce your support task duration or remove one occurence if it is a recurring task so it will not be anymore on the critical path.

Note that you could create those support tasks as hammock tasks and fixed capacity: the duration would automatically vary but the %unit of the assignments will be kept.
    See the procedure for hammock task:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/141733

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 3:53 PM
  • FLoyd,

I don't know, is management a critical part of the program?

Generally, project management is essentially a level-of-effort type of task (i.e. there are no real definitive "tasks" that can be measured with metrics). The two methods you describe, hammock task lasting the entire breadth of the program, or periodic (e.g. monthly) "chunks" of management will work fine. As far as keeping the management task off the critical path, it only needs to have at least one day of total slack. There are various ways to do that. One is to have the management hammock task from start to finish but then add a single milestone task after the end such that it is not included in the hammock (see screen shot).

John

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 3:55 PM