none
Project doesn't consistently copy subtasks with a summary task RRS feed

• Question

• I'm an occasional user of Project, 2007 and now I've just started using 2010.

In the past i've mostly done small ad-hoc projects, but now I have a piece of work that involved defining a set of "template" tasks, in a 2 or 3 level deep hierarchy, and then rolling them out to many (maybe hundreds) of jobs that start of as simple duplicates.

I've just realised that SP2010 isn't consistently copying and then pasting all the subtasks in a selected summary task. I then discovered this was by design! -

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectprofessional2010general/thread/916cdb66-ebb8-4a55-a743-8b0475c9a74e

This is a horrible inconsistency in the user interface. A summary task contains all its subtasks, that'swhy when (for example) you delete a summary task, all the subtasks ARE deleted.

There are other inconsistencies between Project and other MS applications, for example control-dragging a task doesn't make a copy, but not copying and pasting consistently is horrible.

I'm amazed this hasn't ben resolved 2+ years after it was first highlighted. Is thre not a configuration setting, or a bug hotfix, to correct this?

Regards: colin_e

• Edited by colin_e_uk Thursday, October 25, 2012 2:39 PM
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 2:37 PM

Answers

• Not yet. What is even more inconsistent is that if you click the summary task row to select the entire task, then click and drag with the control key held down to copy, all sub-tasks get copied as well. This is Project 2010 SP1.

I'm with you, consistency is key for ease of learning.

To allow copying of either the summary task only, or all sub-tasks as well, I would like Click and drag of the Summary Task row button using the right mouse button. The context menu can then offer summary task or summary plus all sub-tasks as an option as well as copy or move. (In Excel, try dragging one or more cells with the right mouse button).

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:32 PM

All replies

• Not yet. What is even more inconsistent is that if you click the summary task row to select the entire task, then click and drag with the control key held down to copy, all sub-tasks get copied as well. This is Project 2010 SP1.

To allow copying of either the summary task only, or all sub-tasks as well, I would like Click and drag of the Summary Task row button using the right mouse button. The context menu can then offer summary task or summary plus all sub-tasks as an option as well as copy or move. (In Excel, try dragging one or more cells with the right mouse button).

Rod Gill

Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:32 PM

Rod Gill

I didn't know about those other options. Thanks for the info. At least i'm not the only one to find this interface behaviour annoying.

Regards: colin_e

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 12:14 PM