none
Can we please get a total daily hours line to the Tasks.aspx in PWA RRS feed

• Question

• Frankly I find it absolutely ridiculous that Microsoft has never implemented a daily total hours worked line in the Tasks.aspx page in PWA.  As an average user of PWA that only uses it to enter in my hours worked this is the *ONE* *AND* *ONLY* feature that we continually ask for over and over and over again.  As a non project manager I simply don't care for any of the new features in 2013 I ONLY WANT A TOTAL LINE.  When will Microsoft finally listen to it's user base and give us this very simple feature?

Monday, November 9, 2015 8:47 PM

All replies

• Hi James Strange Jr,

I don't work for Microsoft, but this is probably what they'd say...  My Tasks is not intended to collect or verify the number of hours per day, that's what a Timesheet is for, and of course the Timesheet does total per day.  In my tasks you don't even have to enter the number of hours per day, the tracking method allows for % complete, work done on a task, and work per period.  Only in work per period does it make sense to total hours per day.  If you really need Total work per day, investigate the timesheet function. My tasks is there to collect individual status on a task...

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Monday, November 9, 2015 10:55 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  Sorry for the the uppercase characters.

The problem is my employer explicitly instructs employees to use Tasks.aspx as our daily timesheet.  When one is assigned to several dozen tasks (PM's here are addicted to dividing a single "project" into a dozen or more separate tasks) it become quite the chore scrolling up and down the task.aspx page and literally use a hand calculator to sum the total hours as a verification that one entered the correct total hours for the day.  Any entry error will eventually be noticed by the PM, a few weeks later, and will expect the employee to seek out the day short/over of hours and fix it.  But this then requires manually calculating daily totals over every day in the entire time period.  Yes, one can export the tasks.aspx to Excel but the one then has to spend time manually removing the "h" text from hour fields and then manually compose sum calculations.  Of course one has to repeat this export, re-remove "h"s and re-enter sum calculations every day when entering in one's timesheet.  Of course this assumes that the current version of PWA is actually compatible with the, likely ancient, version of Internet Explorer the company installed on work PCs.

Basically entering in one's "timesheet" sheet shouldn't require a hand calculator nor require exporting and composing cell calculations in Excel spreadsheets.  One simply after a hard day at work should be able to quickly enter their hours and go home.

What timesheet function are you speaking of?  Where would one find the timesheet?  There in no "timesheet" available in the PWA menu system at my company.  If I read you right it sounds like my employer is using PWA according to an anti-case.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 4:02 PM
  • Hi James,

The Timesheet function is enabled in the PWA settings - you would need to speak to your Project Server Admin to enable this functionality.  In addition, you will want to look at Single Entry Mode.  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg597642%28v=office.14%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 9:55 PM