none
Upgrading Office 365 2013 -> Office 365 2016 via GPO Startup Script - Error 17002

Question

• Hello,

In my environment I currently have Office 365 2013 ProPlus deployed on my workstations.  I am looking to upgrade to the 2016 version via a startup script and group policy.  

I have a machine in my lab that I have been testing with.  My basic script (powershell) is:

Set-Location \\server\share\2016

.\setup.exe /configure configure.xml.

Here is my configure.xml file:

<Configuration>
    	<Add SourcePath="\\server\share\2016" OfficeClientEdition="32">
    		<Product ID="O365ProPlusRetail">
    			<Language ID="en-us" />
    			<ExcludeApp ID="Groove" />
    			<ExcludeApp ID="InfoPath" />
    			<!--<ExcludeApp ID="Lync" />-->
    			<!--<ExcludeApp ID="OneNote" />-->
    			<ExcludeApp ID="Project" />
    			<ExcludeApp ID="VisioProRetail" />
    			<ExcludeApp ID="SkypeforBusinessRetail" />
    			<ExcludeApp ID="OneNoteRetail" />
    		</Product>
    	</Add>
    	<Logging Path="C:\temp\Logging\" />
      <!--  <Updates Enabled="TRUE" Branch="Current" /> -->
    	<Display Level="None" AcceptEULA="TRUE" />
      <!--  <Property Name="AUTOACTIVATE" Value="1" />  -->
    </Configuration>

When I am logged into this machine and run this script, it installs (upgrades) Office 2016 silently without any issue.  If I get back to the point of having an activated 2013 O365 installed, and attempt to run via GPO it fails with an error code of 17002.  I am seeing this looks like a permission issue of some sort.  

After a few days of testing I have learned that if I modify my GPO script to first uninstall 2013 and then install 2016 this works fine.  My issue at this point is that office prompts for activation and I would like to avoid this.

Is it required that I uninstall 2013 before upgrading 2016 in this manner?  We have a dozen or so machines in our office that have been upgraded for initial testing of the product.  These machines did not require 2013 be remove prior to the 2016 install.

Any suggestions or input is appreciated.

Thanks

sb 

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 12:38 PM

All replies

• You need to use the Office Customization Tool to make it totally silent (supress activation and other popups). You can set options such as uninstalling all previous versions of Office too. This should then automatically uninstall all old versions and install 2016.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49030

• Edited by zxxzxx Thursday, March 3, 2016 12:57 PM
    Thursday, March 3, 2016 12:57 PM
  • I think my original post may have left out an important piece --  I am looking to do this with a click to run deployment.  Not the MSI based install.

I have already posted in the Office 365 community, and they pointed me here..

Thanks again

sb

Thursday, March 3, 2016 1:58 PM