none
allocation memory? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Question:
    I have configured 4 virtual machines with 512 mb memory each.
    When an application starts on one of the machines, does the virtual machine only use the 512 mb assigned to it? Or does it also use the memory not in use by the other 3?

I am using Windows Server™ 2003, Standard Edition.

Thx!

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 3:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Heisa,

Memory is allocated directly to the VM and it is not shared.  So it will not use remaining memory.  An addition 32MB is also allocated for VM overhead for each VM (however the VM itself is unaware of this).  So on the VM level if you assign it 512MB then it will use ONLY 512.  Now with Disk I/O and Processor, these resources are shared so if there is extra that is needed then it can pull from the host.  Not with memory though...

-matt

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 3:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Heisa,

Memory is allocated directly to the VM and it is not shared.  So it will not use remaining memory.  An addition 32MB is also allocated for VM overhead for each VM (however the VM itself is unaware of this).  So on the VM level if you assign it 512MB then it will use ONLY 512.  Now with Disk I/O and Processor, these resources are shared so if there is extra that is needed then it can pull from the host.  Not with memory though...

-matt

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 3:22 PM
  • Thx!!
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 3:24 PM