Many users cannot type into form fields in IE10. RRS feed

• Question

• We recently approved IE10 in WSUS and computers have been taking the update silently.  The issue we are having is a lot of tech support calls in to us that they cannot type into any form fields or at least on certain websites they cannot enter any text.  For most of the calls we ask them to reboot and it seems to be fixed for some time but then again it appears to be getting worse and worse as time goes on (more calls + more problems).

The only things we've done in the past 30 days are:

Remove "Domain Users" from the Local Administrators group.  End users are now regular users.

Used GPO to turn back on UAC (User Account Control).  This was off since for a long time.

Approved IE10 (we were on 9 for the most part with some sporadic installations of 11).

This is getting out of hand how horrible IE is.  I would suggest using a superior browser where you can actually type in form fields like Chrome or Firefox, and that has been the workaround for some people, but we still need IE for some stubborn vendors that require it, otherwise it would not be used in our organization.

Monday, June 15, 2015 4:47 PM

Answers

• Ok for now in our browser customization GPO I disabled Protected mode in IE so now users have no issue typing in form fields again, just like back when we had UAC disabled company wide.  To prevent the annoying "protected mode is turned off" nag banner at the bottom of the screen, we followed the advice here: 

http://jjstellato.blogspot.com/2011/09/disable-protected-mode-and-protected.html  We push out a registry key at logon to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main NoProtectedModeBanner DWORD decimal value of 1.

So this was the quick fix.

I never heard of IE 11 enterprise mode, so I'm giving that a whirl too, but right now just added to our IT computer OU.  I did have to stand up another port on an existing IIS server to host the sites.xml file, but I did get it working on my PC.  I do see the little IE 11 "enterprise mode" icon when I visit those sites.  The new Group Policy Object I created for this also has the setting in it to allow a user to go to Tools > Enterprise Mode.  I'm not a whole inclusive test because I only access a small portion of sites that other departments and users have, so this will have to be a slow rollout.  I know we have one department that uses an application that if IE11 is installed, it says the browser is not supported, but they can click OK and it works anyway.  This department will have to be assessed if they want to deal with that extra click / hassle / nag every morning, or we will have to wait until the developer updates their application.  Besides that I think this Enterprise mode could work for every other department.  If so I can approve IE11 in WSUS and remove the IE11 blocker ADM group policy from all departmental OU's except for the one with that specialized application which needs the IE 10 binaries on the hard drive.

Thursday, June 18, 2015 12:31 PM

All replies

• Ok i did a test and for all the zones, Internet, Intranet, Trusted Sites and Restricted, we unchecked protected mode.  Now this person is able to use a site and do business and get work done.  At some point we have to weigh the difference between being able to function and being so locked down you can't do anything.  With other layers in front like AV, Endpoint Monitoring, Webfilter, Firewall and managed IDS/IPS, we will take the chance with protected mode off.

But how do you globally turn it off and more importantly disable the nag screen you get when it is turned off "

PROTECTED MODE IS TURNED OFF FOR THE INTERNET & RESTRICTED SITES ZONES.  2 choices [DON'T SHOW THIS MESSAGE AGAIN]  OR [TURN ON PROTECTED MODE].

Why are we being plagued by this all of a sudden?  Was there a windows update recently that caused this?  Was it going to IE10?  Something about removing local admin rights?  How about turning on UAC?

Monday, June 15, 2015 5:03 PM
  • Hi, you should be updating to IE11 and using Enterprise Mode to manage your legacy intranet assets.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/04/02/stay-up-to-date-with-enterprise-mode-for-internet-explorer-11.aspx

Rob^_^

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 12:44 AM
  • Ok for now in our browser customization GPO I disabled Protected mode in IE so now users have no issue typing in form fields again, just like back when we had UAC disabled company wide.  To prevent the annoying "protected mode is turned off" nag banner at the bottom of the screen, we followed the advice here: 

http://jjstellato.blogspot.com/2011/09/disable-protected-mode-and-protected.html  We push out a registry key at logon to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main NoProtectedModeBanner DWORD decimal value of 1.

So this was the quick fix.

I never heard of IE 11 enterprise mode, so I'm giving that a whirl too, but right now just added to our IT computer OU.  I did have to stand up another port on an existing IIS server to host the sites.xml file, but I did get it working on my PC.  I do see the little IE 11 "enterprise mode" icon when I visit those sites.  The new Group Policy Object I created for this also has the setting in it to allow a user to go to Tools > Enterprise Mode.  I'm not a whole inclusive test because I only access a small portion of sites that other departments and users have, so this will have to be a slow rollout.  I know we have one department that uses an application that if IE11 is installed, it says the browser is not supported, but they can click OK and it works anyway.  This department will have to be assessed if they want to deal with that extra click / hassle / nag every morning, or we will have to wait until the developer updates their application.  Besides that I think this Enterprise mode could work for every other department.  If so I can approve IE11 in WSUS and remove the IE11 blocker ADM group policy from all departmental OU's except for the one with that specialized application which needs the IE 10 binaries on the hard drive.

Thursday, June 18, 2015 12:31 PM