none
Unable to finish TFA - Due to Errors RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to finish up my TFA, I run into errors using both the Mobile App and Authentication Phone (via SMS messaging)

Authentication Phone (via text message)

I receive the 6 digit code for Microsoft verification, enter it in the site and click Verify. This message appears: "We were unable to save your settings. Please try again. If you were trying to update the Multi-Factor Authentication PIN, please make sure the old PIN matches our record. Correlation ID: 439fe2c0-3760-4c1a-bc1a-1289b58aa023"

Pressing Retry with a different code produces the same results.

Mobile App (use verification code)

Downloaded the official Microsoft Authenticator app on my iPhone. Pressed "Add account" -> "Work or school account" -> scanned the QR code with the camera enable on my phone. Confirmed the app is now reporting my Microsoft account with the 6 digit code and the 30 second timer. I press next on the website as it says 'If the app displays a six-digit code, choose "Next".' It will either continuously spin saying "Checking activation status" or it will allow me to type in the 6 digit code and say the same error as up top.

We are also unable to remove TFA from these accounts via the portal with an account that is Global Admin. Please assist.

- Tyler Robbins

Friday, September 29, 2017 4:25 PM

All replies

• The error received for the Mobile App (use verification code) way after we wait for the spinning circle (with "Checking activation status...") to stop is actually: "Mobile app configuration failed. Please try again.

And yes, I have tried again.

Friday, September 29, 2017 4:31 PM
  • Hi Trobzy

Your account is an Azure AD account? I suggest you could change a network for your iPhone and change again.

If possible, could you show me some screenshots that would help to explain what your issue is ?

Regards,

Walter

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 2, 2017 2:27 AM
  • Hi Trobzy

Your account is an Azure AD account? I suggest you could change a network for your iPhone and change again.

If possible, could you show me some screenshots that would help to explain what your issue is ?

Regards,

Walter

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Hello. I am having the same issue with two accounts. The accounts have Azure AD Premium license. Attached is a screenshot. Eventually, it says 'Mobile app configuration failed. Please try again'

Tom Maz

Monday, October 2, 2017 2:16 PM
  • Did you ever figure out a fix for this?  MSFT seems to have just moved on, but I am experiencing this issue too.
    Thursday, January 18, 2018 11:37 PM
  • Check if the user object is duplicated with Azure AD, check the SMTP proxy addresses if there are any duplicate records, just remove it. and try again, and it will work with you. 

Cheers,

Mahmoud Hanafi

Senior Exchange|Lync Administrator

Blog: Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Monday, March 4, 2019 9:04 AM
  • Has a solution to this been found yet?  I am having multiple accounts come up with this error when using the "Mobile app", with "Receive notifications for verifications" - no matter what I try, I always get "Mobile app configuration failed.  Please try again."

The only thing that has worked so far is using a brand new account, and deleting the old one.  This is unacceptable - there must be a way to fix this app...

Monday, April 8, 2019 11:32 PM
  • Wouldn't you know it - about 10 minutes after I post this message, I stumble upon the following blog which details how to use multiple Microsoft Azure Authenticator Apps (each app is on a different device, supporting the same account)

https://www.magnitude8.com.au/m8-blog/2018/11/17/multiple-microsoft-authenticators

The "missing link" for me was the existance of portal.office.com/account - when you click "Security & Privacy", then select "Additional security verification", the "Update your phone numbers used for account security" option is revealed.

This is where you can see all of the devices currently associated with your accounts MFA. 

There were some very old devices here still associated to my account (removing these devices from portal.azure.com did not remove them from Authenticator) However, when I deleted the old devices from this location, I was finally able to add my new device without that stinking "Mobile app configuration failed.  Please try again."  It seems like 5 is the limit for multiple MFA apps without that failure message.

I hope this post, and that link to that persons blog above will help someone else out there...

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 3:26 AM