none
Shareoint 2010 PDF text search not working for all PDF documents RRS feed

• Question

• We have ifilter for PDF installed on sharepoint 2010. We noticed that when searching for PDF file titles it returns results but when searching for text withing PDF files works for some PDF documents while PDF file text search does not work for most of PDF documents. 

Is there a reason for this behavior ? or is this normal behavior of sharepoint search engine ?

Dhaval Raval

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 8:02 PM

All replies

• Any PDF that isn't OCR'ed (or text to begin with) will not be surfaced as it isn't search able. Is this what you're finding?

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 8:30 PM
  • What do you mean by OCR'ed or text to begin with ?

Dhaval Raval

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 9:31 PM
  • If you use a scanner to scan a document to PDF, the PDF contains it as an image, not text. However, if your scanner has OCR (optical character recognition) capabilities, it will attempt to resolve the text it can see to text that can be searched, etc. And by 'text to begin with', say you take a Word document and save it as PDF. This will also be searchable.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 9:33 PM
  • Hi,

If these replies are helpful to you, you could mark there replies as answers to close the case. If you have any question about this issue, please feel free to reply.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 19, 2015 9:50 AM
  • Thank you for your input but I think content from PDF document I tried to search is not an Image. I searched content from PDF file in SP 2010 and it didnt return any results then I copied that filed to sharepoint online and searched for same content and SP online is returning results. Is this a limitation of Sharepoint 2010 ?

Dhaval Raval

Monday, October 19, 2015 1:02 PM
  • 2010 doesn't have an out of the box PDF iFilter. This has instructions on how to configure SharePoint with the Adobe PDF iFilter:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2293357

Trevor Seward

Monday, October 19, 2015 6:00 PM
  • We already have PDF Ifilter installed on sp 2010. However Sp 2010 doesnt show results for text search within some PDF files while sharepoint online does for same files. Seems like search algorithm is different in SP 2010 and Sharepoint online 

Dhaval Raval

Monday, October 19, 2015 6:12 PM